Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How Much Did The Phils' Title Change Your Thoughts Towards The Birds?


I don't know if you guys are experiencing the same thing, but it sure seems that every Philly Sports Phan I talk to you has the same quiet confidence that the Birds are somehow going to find a way to win on Sunday.


Of course the 48 to 20 win on Thanksgiving Night has something to do with that, but you have to think that if we were still in the title drought, we all would be looking at this game as too good to be true and surely expect the other shoe to drop.


With the heroics of Cole, J Roll, the Big Man, Chase, and Mr. Perfect still fresh in my mind, I feel transformed as a phan. I finally feel confident about my Birds. (Christ, if they win this week, I might even forgive them for breaking my heart when they lost the last game at the Vet in 2003 - aka the NFC Championship Game against the Bucs). I now expect the best to happen. I suppose that's what a title does for you.

After all, we've seen the Birds win two straight road playoff games (the last one against the defending champion Giants) after miraculously making the playoffs. Why can't they continue this run? It's not like they are playing a fire breathing monster of a team like last year's Pats. All of the 4 remaining teams are beatable.


They have as good a chance as anyone else to win the Super Bowl. As I said a couple weeks ago, "Why Not Us?"

7 comments:

peacock805 said...

First off, "Why Can't Us".

Secondly I don't know why but I do not have the same confidence. Don't get me wrong, they should win and I think they will win, but I still can't get those first 3 championship games out of my head. The Phils were great and it was very positive, but it is a different game.

I really think most of this is self-manifested reverse psychology that if I think they could lose, hopefully they will win. There, I went and screwed it all up.

I'll be in Jersey for the Super Bowl. Plans have already been made, so I guess I am confident.

I am really rambling today. It must be that it is -2 outside.

Jon1BSP said...

I hate how almost everyone is picking the Birds.

I need the game to get here so people can stop talking about it.

Anonymous said...

you're the only person i know that equates a Phillies World Championship with a "quiet confidence" throughout the city in all sports. I don't buy it and I never did, even though you continue to say it.

We'll win b/c were better than the Cards. SB will be more difficult.

Anonymous said...

What a difference a week makes. I was scared to death playing in Giants Stadium against the defending SB Champs. This week i'm ultra confident about going to the desert and handily beating the Cards. I hope i'm right.

Anonymous said...

I love this matchup. It could be the easiest NFCC we've faced of 5 other than '04 vs. Atlanta. Certainly its easier than the AFCC game. Who are the Cardinals? The team that lost to the Birds, Pats, Vikes in December by 100 points? Or are they the team that beat the Falcons and Panthers in the playoffs?

Really it doesn't matter. Personnel wise they don't match up with this team and their best game doesn't get it done against this Eagles team. If they score, we can score with them and if they play D we can play with them. I don't think it will be Turkey Day Ugly, but we'll win and be in control from the 2nd qtr on. I do suspect the Cards will start fast and possibly score right away. Then JJ and Dawk will lock it down.

gump said...

and then along came Larry Fitz-friggin-gerald!!
What a disgrace!! Why wasn't Lito thrown out there to shut him down instead of giving him a chance to torch every member of our secondary one-on-one?? That's what Lito does, that's why we WASTED a roster spot on him this year. God I hate the EaglesW!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anonymous - where are you boy? Where's the whole "We came to your house..."

Hopefully you've been working hard to obtain that GED I recommended last week.

To T-Man, I am sorry it didn't work out.

To Anonymous, how 'bout them E-G-I-R-L-S!

Go screw.