Sunday, January 11, 2009

IT'S ON!


Game day has finally arrived! And not a minute too soon. Frankly, I'm completely bored by all the stories about the Giants late season slide, B West's various injuries and how the State of New Jersey is split between Giants and Eagles fans. Seriously, I've had enough. Let's get to the game and end all the talk.


Here are a couple things to watch for today:


1) Can the Birds get off the field on 3rd down? To me, that is the single biggest determining factor as to when this defense is playing well. If the Giants are consistently picking up third downs, we're in trouble.


2) Do Andy and Marty stay with the running game long enough to keep the Giants honest? If the Birds pass it at a 65% clip, we're in trouble. Plus, after last week, I'm not sure if our o-line will hold up pass blocking that many times.


3) Do the elements effect our kickers? Sure, Akers and Rocca have looked good the last couple weeks, but remember Rocca is flat out brutal in the cold and Giants Stadium is Akers' own personal grave yard. I see the G Men having a substantial edge in the kicking game.


4) Will Andy lose the coaching battle? This is the single biggest thing that scares me about this game. Andy never wins big games against coaches that have Super Bowl rings and unfortunately, we don't have Brad Childress on the other side of the field again today.


Despite the above factors, you have to admit that last night's games didn't really help out the Birds today. Sure, nothing that happened yesterday has a direct effect today. The players and coaches decide what happens today, but how many times do more than 2 road teams win in one divisional playoff round? How many times do both top seeds get knocked out in this round? I can't remember it ever happening. Therefore, the odds are against us today. Big time.


One other thing I have to add....is it me or is there some juice missing from this game? I really think the Phils really dismissed so much angst from this town. I was out last night and the band played "Fly Eagles Fly". Usually, if this happened the eve of a big playoff game, the crowd would go bonkers. Last night, the crowd greeted it with half hearted enthusiasm. I really think this city lost a little something...or maybe it's just me.


All this being said, I suppose I should make a pick. I think this city has some karma going on. Between the Phils' title and how the Birds got a ton of help to make the playoffs, combined with the good fortune of playing a team that had no shot to beat us last week and now playing a team missing it's biggest weapon against us due a self inflicted GSW, how can you not see that things are rolling in our direction? Yup, I really don't have much to hang my hat on, but I'm going with the karma factor and picking a 23 to 16 win by the Birds. I see B Dawk factoring in somewhere on the play of the game.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, no questions or excuses, 1 team showed up today, and it wasn't my team in blue. Congratulations T-Man. If the Eagles don't win it all this year however, I don't think they ever will.

I am surprised, however at how many people are already picking the Cards over the Eagles. If I have to lose, at least let the Eagles beat an 8-8 team (or 9-7, who cares) and win it all.

If the Giants can't win it all, then Philly should - at least the riots would be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Tres Bien!

Anonymous said...

We came to your house twice in the last five weeks and took it down. No excuses, no answers. We took their hearts early and the Giants were SOFT. Every time we laid a good stick on you, the G Girls were crying.

Gints owned Sept.-Nov. and were as dominant a squad in the NFC in a LONG time. Then Billy the Kid shot himself and they collapsed like the bunch of stinking maggots they are. Shine up that ring and we'll see you in September.

peacock805 said...

Good pick...See you in Arizona.


WOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - a couple of corrections, as your South Jersy / Philadelphia education shows through:

1) You have never been to my house; you have been to my football team's stadium, and yes, the last two times you have won.

2) While the Giants may have been soft, as you say, you have never met me, much laid a stick on me, per se.

3) The Giants are many things, but entomogically speaking (look it up), they are not maggots, but actually an underperforming team composed of an average coach, and 53 human beings who didn't get the job done today.

4) There are actually three rings to shine up, not the one you reference.

I would normally wish your team luck, having been vanquished (again, buy a dictionary) buy your team today, but instead I would suggest locating an appropriate institution, and signing up for that GED that you clearly need. Good luck!