Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Couldn't Let This Go Without Commenting....


To most of your dismay, I do discuss the Flyers and NHL on this blog. Quite simply, I am an unabashed hockey lover. Sorry guys, can't help it. I was born right when hockey took off in this city and my parents ingrained in me that I must be a huge Flyers fan. As a result of my love for the Flyers, I could not wait for last week's Winter Classic played on New Year's Day between the Flyers and Bruins. (Judging by the TV ratings, comments from some of my friends and family, I was more excited than most.)

Despite the brutal ending, I have to say that the game did not disappoint. Watching the game being played out on a makeshift rink on Fenway's hallowed ground was visually stunning. There were so many amazing camera angles that I found myself saying "wow" over and over. The level of play, while not perfect due to the ice conditions, was better and more intense than the first two Winter Classics. Overall, I thought it was a wonderful event that will truly help to grow the sport and hopefully cultivate more fans.

The only issue that was a disappointment to me was the Philadelphia TV ratings. Apparently, Philly residents were more interested in watching Penn State play LSU on what looked like a cow pasture or tuned into the brutal Mummers Day parade. I honestly thought more Philly viewers would tune in, but I have a feeling that the completely inconsistent and unlikeable team the Flyers put out on the ice probably kept more than a few viewers for looking else where for the New Year's Day entertainment.

That's ok. They have no idea that they missed one of the best sporting events of the year.

1 comment:

Jon1BSP said...

It was pretty sweet being there...