Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Top Five List

In recognition of the Summer Olympics and the phenomenal Michael Phelps, I've decided to give my Top 5 Summer Olympics U.S. Athletes and/or Teams. During my research, I was reminded that Atlanta hosted an Olympic Games. Can someone explain to me how the fuck that happened? Still doesn't make any sense to me how a city that can't even sell out MLB and NFL playoff games was considered such a world class sports city that it deserved the Summer Olympics, but I digress....

Here's my top 5:

1) Carl Lewis - He won 9 gold medals and 1 silver over 4 separate Olympic Games. I'm as impressed as anyone over Michael Phelps, but I put more stock in Track and Field than swimming. Plus, he's a Philly area guy. He is a no brainer as the #1.

2) Michael Phelps - His Olympics aren't over and he still has a chance to extend his all time Gold Medal count to 14 gold and 2 bronze. At this point, he's become Tiger Woods/Michael Jordan like. When I see him compete, I totally expect thim to win.

3) The 1992 Dream Team - This was the greatest collection of basketball players ever put on the same team. The only reason they aren't #1 is that there was no one to push this group (their closest game was a 32 point win). God, I wish we still had a basketball team that routinely crushed their opponents like these guys did.

4) Mary Lou Retton - I am a child of the 80's and this chick's face was every where after winning the Olympic Gold medal back in 1984. I don't know if that qualifies her as one of the best, but who cares...it's my list.

5) 1984 U.S. Boxing Team - Of the 12 weight classes, the U.S. medaled in 11 of the weight classes with 9 gold medals. Future professional champs on this team included Evander Holyfield, Meldrick Taylor and Pernell Whitaker. Of course, they benefitted from the Cuban and Russian boycott, but their record was still pretty impressive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snaxxx - what are you thinking ?

Maybe you should take more time off with thoughts like that . . .

where's- the volley ball team / Owens / strough(check spelling)/Hamm brothers / spittz . . . . .and your favorite Greg Louganis.

They're several names that should come before your "dream team" Remember they were PROFESIONALS.

Dan Maiese said...

Nice list. I agree with leaving the dream team on there. That 92 team was definitely the true dream team. MJ, Bird, etc., etc. As much as they'll try, they'll never assemble a team like that again.

For some reason, I'm really enjoying the Olympics this year. Usually, I can't stand them, but I guess I'm on the Michael Phelps bandwagon.