Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Buzz Kill



Thanks, Brett and Ryan Madson, you guys really know how to take the life out of your phan base. I haven't seen such a buzz kill since my buddy's wife came home one night and broke up a kegger by throwing us out of the house in the a middle of a keg stand being performed by a hot, young blond wearing a short skirt. Yes, it was that bad.


I turned the game on in the top of the 2nd and to my dismay saw that the Mets had scored two runs in the first inning without any hits or errors on the Phils. Is anyone else glad to see that Brett came out so well prepared after his banishment to the minors? He really wasn't ready to pitch and could not locate his fastball in the first three innings. Overall, he walked five in five innings and gave up three runs on three hits. He was far from great, but wasn't actually terrible either. He was able to battle out of a couple of jams, which was a positive sign. I suppose if he regains control of his fastball, he should start to resemble an effective Major League pitcher.

Brett didn't lose the game though. That was left to Ryan Madson, who reverted back to his 2006 form. Entering the game in the 6th, he put the first two men on base and then floated a change up to Jose Reyes who promptly crushed it over the right center field fence. This was followed by Wheels throwing a tantrum over Reyes' ridiculous show boating. I actually got a laugh out of it because Wheels wasn't very convincing in conveying his anger. I didn't buy it.

I wonder if Madson will ever be someone I completely trust. There are times when I start to feel like I'm ready to believe he can be an above average reliever and then he melts down in a big spot like tonight. He is the very definition of a "c*ck tease".

This series now comes down to whether the Metropolitans can lay off Jamie Moyer's 82 mph fastball and glut of junk balls. I'm not feeling overly confident.

No comments: