Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Feature - The Top Five List



Just looking to add something new and spark debate from time to time. I will add a weekly Top 5 list. It could be about sports, music, movies, life, etc.

My first Top 5 list involves my favorite top 5 albums.

1. Pearl Jam (Ten) - This may be the best debut album releases of all time. As much as I love Pearl Jam, their first album was their best and everything went down hill from there. Black, Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy, and Oceans are some of the best rock songs ever written.

2. Nirvana (Nevermind) - I can listen to about every song on this album. Near perfection from Cobain and Crew. The fact the album was produced by Butch Vig probably explains why I like Garbage so much.

3. Tribe Called Quest (The Low End Theory) - If there is a better hip hop/rap album ever made, I'd love to hear it. I think I listened to this CD every day of my sophomore year at Rutgers.

(NOTE: My top three were all released between August 27th and September 24th, 1991. Is it a coincidence that the top three albums of all time were released in a one month period? I think not! Also, if you want to say my musical tastes ceased evolving after my sophomore year of college, you're probably on to something.)

4. Van Halen (Van Halen I) - If Ten is the best debut album of all time. This album may be #2 on that list. I loved the original Van Halen line up. To me, Van Haggar was a crime against humanity that I never truly accepted. When you look up Rock Star in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of Diamond Dave staring you in the face. Eddie was also completely sober so he was at the top of his powers. If the opening riff of "Running With The Devil" doesn't get you excited, you are probably a complete musical idiot.

5. Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band (Born To Run) - I'm from New Jersey. If you are from Jersey and were born before 1980, but don't understand the significance and importance of this record, you should probably move out of the state. This album contains absolute anthems. I'm shocked this record has never been turned into a Broadway Musical like that fraud Billy Joel did with his music.

It really pained me to leave The Foo Fighters (The Colour & The Shape) off the list. I really, really love that album.

I could care less if you disagree with any of these. Just give me your top 5 if you decide to comment on any of these.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony,
Here are not only my top 5 but the top 5 of all time.
1) WHO'S NEXT (The Who)
2) THE WALL (Pink Floyd)
3) REIGN IN BLOOD (Slayer)the best metal album of all time!!!!!!!!
4)STRENGTH (The Alarm)
5)CLOSE TO THE EDGE (YES)-ONLY 3 SONGS ON IT AND IT KICKS ASS.
I could list all the reasons why, but I won't because it would take forever.
Thanks for the time..
Bob Morris

Anonymous said...

Tony I also wanted to list the Top Ten bands ever:
1) THE WHO
2) THE KINKS
3) THE ALARM
5) THE CLASH
6) SEX PISTOLS
7) MEGADETH
8) PINK FLOYD
9) YES
10)LED ZEPPELIN

thanks again,
-Bob-

Anonymous said...

Pearl Jam and Springsteen suck. And everyone knows the best debut album ever is Appetite For Destruction.

Philly Phan said...

I have two words for you about GNR: Over Rated

Please leave the state of NJ now. Next thing I know, you'll tell me that Bon Jovi and Sinatra suck also. There is a spot in the Mountains of Georgia next door to Daniel Carver waiting for you.

George said...

Two duds on the list. Springsteen and some hip hop garbage?

GNR probably should be on the list.

I do agree that David Lee Roth is the man.