Monday, November 30, 2009

No Brainer


Imagine the following scenario:


You're running a sales team and your numbers for the past couple years are way down. Christ, they are pretty much at the bottom of the industry. The downward trend is clearly the result of an unpopular staffing move to let go of your top sales guy due to "personality issues". Adding to the recent failures is the fact that none of the younger staff hired to replace the disposed star have stepped up to develop into a big time salesman. Obviously, you're under a ton of pressure from Senior Management to produce and your job is on the line. Then, lo and behold, your former star employee hits the open market again after being let go by a competitor. The aging star still has the same personality issues, but he gets results. Something your team desperately needs.


What do you do? Do you:


(A) hire the aging star to save your ass and give you needed short term results?; or

(B) pass because you are afraid of his "personality issues" tainting the young team?


Essentially, that is the situation facing Ed Stefanski and the Sixers with respect to the decision of whether to bring AI back to Philly.


The Sixers are about as dead a franchise as I can remember in this city. The Phils had some bad years in the late 80's through early 90's, but it was never this bad. People still cared. I can't find anyone that wants to discuss the Sixers. No one seems to care that they are this bad. The Sixers have reached the 100% Total Apathy level which is rarely seen in the Northeast. They are utterly unwatchable. I can't think of anything redeeming about watching these guys. Apparently, I'm not the only one because the Wachovia Center has been as empty as an Atlanta Thrashers vs. Florida Panthers NHL game.


Clearly, bringing back AI is the one and only thing the Sixers can do this year to get anyone in this town interested in them enough to turn on Comcast Sportsnet and watch their games, let alone buy a ticket. If the Sixers want to generate any buzz, they absolutely have to sign Iverson.


I really don't see much of a down side in signing AI. Of course, they might win a couple extra games to lower the number of ping pong balls they have in the lottery, but Iverson is no longer the type of guy that can take over games to the point that he can win them on his own. The only real issue would be to make sure AI's personality issues don't rub off on some of the young guys.


In my mind, this is a no brainer. Just sign the guy. Things surely can't get any worse for the Sixers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! Look who is back on the internet....as you know, I don't give a shit about pro basketball but it is good to see you posting again.

Keep it up,

Aran

peacock805 said...

I agree that they should sign him. Oh no...he may give the rest of the team bad attitudes. Who cares about their attitudes. They suck anyway with "good" attitudes. Could it possibly get worse? I miss the Cavaliers. Thank God 90% of their games are televised nationally.

Andy Gradel said...

I bet there are some WNBA teams selling more seats than the Sixers at this point. In fact, I think I saw a Billboard on my way home from work that said something about them paying me to watch a game as long as I agreed to buy a hot dog...

SOUTH JERSEY WINE BLOG said...

Tony

Welcome back! Glad my son was instrumental in convincing you to type more than just a "tweet or two". I added a link to your website on my blog so do me a favor and stick around for awhile and maybe you could add my blog to your list.

SOUTH JERSEY WINE BLOG
www.ballymote.wordpress.com

Frank's Dad

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, Mr. Nerney! Ask and you shall receive. I'll be adding a link to your blog on my site.

Philly Phan said...

Oh My God, Mr. Nerney your blog is incredible. You have to be making money off it. I need to talk to you about how to expand my blog further.

George said...

I don't know one person who is interested in the Sixers right now. Joe Conklin will have a field day with the addition of Iverson, so therefore I guess I am for it.