Monday, June 02, 2008

Eagles Personnel Department: No Football Experience Required


Can someone please explain to me what the Eagles are doing in their front office? I'm totally at a loss trying to understand their latest move.

In case you missed it, the Eagles fired Vice President of Player Personnel, Jason Licht (although it has not yet been officially announced) and replaced him with former Vice President of Football Administration, Howie Roseman. My problem arises from the fact that Roseman appears to have no actual football knowledge. He appears to be from the Joe Banner mold, more than your typical player personnel director who has spent his entire life playing, coaching or scouting football.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a guy that, while well educated, has such little football experience running such a critical part of the team. I love how Andy Reid says the following about Roseman:


"I feel we have strengthened our personnel staff today by promoting Howie Roseman. Tom's leadership and work ethic has continued to impress me over the years. Tom (Heckert) has also done a great job of nurturing and incorporating Howie's talent into the personnel side of the organization. Howie has demonstrated a sharp eye for talent evaluation along with a knack for creative draft and free agent strategies. Both Tom and I feel Howie will be an excellent addition to the Philadelphia Eagles personnel staff."
Sorry Big Red, this sounds like corporate speak to me. I'd like to see Andy cite a couple of examples before I get the warm and fuzzies over this move.

Plus, everything I read says that Roseman is Banner's protege, which is great except that I'm not sure two capologists are necessary when the league is about to go uncapped in a couple seasons.

I just have a bad feeling about the Birds having a personnel guy effing up while learning on the job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aren't heckert and reid the 2 talent guys?

this guy is the weasel in the back of the room that says a 3rd yr. CB is only worth X