Tuesday, January 19, 2010

He's Not Worthy


Joe "Heavy B" Blanton really laid one on the Phils today. In a move that seemed to be pretty out of touch with reality, Heavy B demanded $10.25M as part of the arbitration.


Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I have to get it out on the record that I love Heavy B. He shows up, takes the ball every 5th day, never complains and normally turns in a decent effort. He has also been a key factor in the last two post seasons. Last year, Joe was paid $5.48M. After compiling a 12-8 record and 4.05 ERA in '09, does anyone think he is due a raise of nearly double his salary?


In my mind, there is no friggin' way he deserves to be paid over $10M. The Phils offered $7.5M as their arbitration offer which I think is fair. It might be a tad low, but it is certainly more realistic than $10.25M.


All that being said, it's not my money so why should I really care what Heavy B gets in arbitration? Good luck, Heavy B. Just be prepared to be disappointed.

1 comment:

George said...

Don't forget how many consecutive quality starts in a row Heavy B threw in the middle of the season while everyone else stunk.