Thursday, January 14, 2010

Top Five Friday is Back!


I don't know why I can't discipline myself to stick with the Top Five Friday idea. On the surface it sounds like a fun, easy way for me to get a post up every week. However, for the same reason I probably can't stick with a diet or a workout routine, I haven't been able to force myself to stick to this routine. Well, we are back with a Top Five list this week after I was finally inspired to write about a specific topic.

And the inspiration for this week's Top Five list.....The Situation. Yes, the Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino.

If you don't watch MTV's Jersey Shore, then you probably don't know who the frig I'm talking about. If you don't watch the show, then you don't know what you're missing because this show is filled with train wreck level drama involving a bunch of NJ/NY Guidos & Guidettes. Plus, this show is appealing to me because I'm Italian and from NJ. As such, I'm intimately familiar with the type of people on this show. They've been keeping me entertained on NJGuido.com.

The best part of the show is The Situation. He's one of the best characters on Television. He never ceases to make me laugh or play a perfect villain. In fact, if I was Vince McMahon, I'd immediately sign him to breath some life into the WWE. Anyhow, so in honor of "The Situation", here are my top five characters in Philly Sports history (at least the part I was around to witness.

5. Donovan McNabb - I mean who wasn't cracking up that air guitar routine as he walked onto the field last week? Ok...you got me. That was a joke. The real #5 is...

5. Hugh Douglas - I think you'll see a common theme here. Alot of these guys didn't really come out of their shells until they became broadcasters upon retirement and we found out how funny they really are. I don't enjoy much about WIP's morning show, but whenever Hugh is on, I get a a laugh or two. His "Hugh on Hockey" segments are usually gold. Speaking of WIP Morning Show guest hosts....

4. Keith Jones - The former Flyer always seemed a little quirky and funny, but then I read his book and I developed a new found appreciation for him. The story about how he became his own agent and negotiated his own contract was hysterical.

3. Larry Anderson - Since I never had the pleasure to watch Whitie Asburn play, Larry Anderson is my all time favorite Phillie character. His dry humor is always welcome while listening to him on the radio. I just wish the Phils would move LA back to the TV broadcasts.

2. Jerome Brown - From the outside, Jerome seemed like a guy that kept the locker room laughing and loose all season long. I'll always remember him for that classic comment, "They brought the house. We brought the pain". Here's one to enjoy for old time's sake (just stop it with five seconds left to avoid the urge to regurgitate your last meal)....



1. Charles Barkley - This one is a no brainer. If you don't remember his shenanigans as a Sixer, just do yourself a favor and watch him on the NBA Studio show on TNT. I can't imagine anyone else coming to this town that is funny and entertaining as Sir Charles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Situation is the Man. i'd leave all my NJ interests for a weekend w/ J wow.

Anonymous said...

What about Gary Dornhoefer? Come on.

Also, some people are very entertained by Sarge now.