Sunday, November 02, 2008

Brutal Efficiency


After a week of excitement, I think we can all agree that today's Eagles' game was exactly what the doctor ordered. The Eagles put out a workmanlike, professional effort and grounded out an efficient, yet at times boring, 26 to 7 victory in Seattle.


Although, I have to admit, evil Philly Sports Phan returned in the first quarter when McNabb was short hopping balls to open receivers or holding onto the ball for an eternity. Plus, that first play was such a debacle that I was about to throw my cell phone at the TV. Nevertheless, the Birds settled down and so did I.


The only real issue was the offense's failure to turn red zone visits to TD's instead of field goals. Otherwise, it was such a satisfying, but boring performance, I spent most of the 4th quarter reading the news paper and helping my mother in law with a computer issue.


Maybe the Phils really have changed me because I expected the best and we got it today. Now, next week, I'm not so sure I'll be as confident.


Other thoughts:


-Mike Holmgren should retire. He makes Andy Reid look like a clock management expert with some of the boneheaded moves he was making today. Plus, I'd personally like to thank him. His ridiculous decision to call a time out with four meaningless seconds left on the clock led to a sack for the Birds which gave me a victory in one of my fantasy leagues as I started the Birds' defense, which leads me to....


-It was nice to see Chris Clemons get his first sack, but I was not surprised that his sack would come during garbage time.


-Where was Correll Buckhalter today? Andy and Marty need to figure out a better way of using all their weapons.


-Kevin Curtis had a nice game today. I think Donovan did a decent job of spreading the ball around to all his receivers, but I guess that's not all that difficult when you throw the ball 43 friggin times.


-I loved Baldinger's comparison of DeSean Jackson to Allen Iverson. I thought that was a pretty good person to compare him to. Hopefully, DeSean will have half the career that AI did here in Philly.


-Was anyone else annoyed that we have to turn to trickeration at the one yard line, in the form of a tackle eligible play, to score a short yardage touchdown? When is this team just going to line it up, push someone off the ball and score a TD?


-Brent Celek...131 yards receiving...who knew? I already like him better than LJ. Not sure if the kid is an every down TE, but he sure looked like an upgrade.


-Brian Dawkins looked like an old fella again on the first play of the game, but rebounded to have a decent game overall.


-Lito, if you are wondering why no one wanted to trade for you, I think you got your answer today. You are always hurt and as you showed on the first play of the game, you guess way too much.


-Overall, I thought the defense looked decent, but they were playing an overmatched offense and simply took care of bidness (as Ray Rhodes liked to say.)


-I also think that you are going to find out everything you need to know about this team next week with the defending World Champion Giants coming to town. If they can play this team tough and possibly win, we have something to look forward to this year. If they get toyed with, start focusing on the Flyers.

No comments: