Thursday, November 06, 2008

Random Thoughts


As I guess you can tell, I haven't been real motivated to write and I'm about to mail this one in as well. So kill me...I see one of my teams win a title and I kind of feel fulfilled with nothing really getting the juices flowing. In any event, I haven't totally ignored the Philly Sports Scene. Here are some things I've got on my mind:


1) What the hell is going on with the Flyers? Is it purely injuries? This team is missing 2 defensemen they were counting on, as well as Danny Briere. Is that all that's wrong or is there something deeper? The Orange & Black were totally lifeless. They better turn it on and soon because they don't want to dig themselves too deep a hole.


2) I read tonight that the Phils are seriously looking into trading for Matt Holliday again. Apparently, the Rockies want Shane Victorino. If they trade Victorino, the phans may burn down Citizen's Bank Park. The bigger problem is Holliday is only under contract for one more year. The last thing I want to see is the Phils give up good young players for a guy that will be here one year. Although, it sure would be nice to see a strong, consistent right handed bat in the lineup to break up Utley and Howard.


3) I saw that the Birds are favored by 3 this week over the Giants. How is this possible? Vegas must know something. In any event, I've learned from the annoying Howard Eskin, that when the line looks funny, bet in the direction that looks funny because Vegas knows better than you. I guess this tells us that the Birds win this weekend. We'll see.


4) The Sixers season started. Does anyone care? Didn't think so.


5) We have a new President and I haven't seen this much exuberant adulation over a change in personnel since Norman Braman and Harold Katz sold the Birds and Sixers, respectively.


6) Don't worry Penn State phans. The Nits won't get boned by the BCS. Both 'Bama and Texas Tech will lose a game. It could lead to a title game of Florida vs. PSU...with the Lions getting destroyed. Sorry guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to retort.

No one cares about the Flyers but the 3 of you on this boarda and the white collar folks who get tixs through work.

I had a dream last nite that Victorino was traded. I hope not, he's all heart and can only get better.

The Birds are more disfunctional than the Fly Girls. They win this weekend and lose at Cincinatti.

Sixers need 20 games to figure out what they want to be. I try to watch but its painful right now.

Where the white women at...

No way Joe Pa loses to anyone with 45 days preparation in a bowl game.

George said...

Are you kidding me? If the Rockies want Victorino for Holliday, bye bye Shane. I will pack his bags for him even if Holliday is only a one year rental. That one year rental could lead to another title. Victorino is one of the most overrated players ever, loved by so many who hopped on the bandwagon and don't understand the fundamentals of the game.

Dan Maiese said...

I'm not the biggest Victorino fan around. I think he's not all that fundamentally sound and makes some terrible decisions. He gets way too over anxious at the plate.

Having said that, I still don't think I'd do this deal. Let's face it - the Phils would never be able sign Holiday beyond this season with the payroll they will have this year.

Plus, Victorino is a prime chip in any trade rumor. I think they should hold on to him for something that could benefit them for a longer period of time

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, Phan, in the uncertainty about the Flyers. I'm starting to wonder about Stevens' ability to get them ready to play regardless of who's scratched. Should a couple of players make that much of a difference in how the entire team plays? Makes me wonder...

As for the Holliday for Victorino deal, I say ok only if they're willing to work something out that trades Howard as well, landing Holliday for a year (with the outside chance for more) and a stud pitcher to compliment Hamels. Not saying this is realistic, just saying it's what I'd want to see before trading a gamer like Victorino who I'm hoping will learn from his mistakes to become the player he shows flashes of being.