Sunday, December 06, 2009

Birds Beat Up JV Falcons


Today, the Birds took apart a badly over matched Falcons team and I don't have a lot of take aways....other than I know this team. See my prediction from earlier today. I could see this blowout coming a mile away.


I knew the team would rally around Michael Vick in his return trip to Atlanta. If you didn't see it coming, you haven't been paying attention to how his teammates interact with Vick. They seem awfully deferential to a guy that hasn't done a whole lot this year. All that being said, I can't wait until the guy is off the team. He adds nothing but distraction.

Actually, I do have one major positive from today. The Birds defense. They looked competent for the first time since the Giants game. Sure, playing against a bunch of backups helped a great deal, but they still executed. The goal line stand in the second quarter was a huge pick me up that I hope the Birds build off the rest of the year.

Another issue that I take away from today is that Trent Cole is probably the most under rated player in the city. He didn't have a single tackle or sack today, but he's so disruptive. He's very active and seems to always around the ball. He simply does his job and gets very little fan fare in our city. Not sure why. He seems to fit the mold of guys we like in this city.

A couple of other issues....

1) Is anyone else flabbergasted at how the Georgia Dome can be so filled with excitement one day and then feel/look/sound like a mausoleum the next? The fans for Saturday's SEC Title Game were off the charts on Saturday, but the Falcons fans were pretty tame today except when booing/cheering for Vick. Atlanta is a brutal sports city. We really don't need much more evidence. Since we can all agree that the South only cares about College Sports, can someone please explain why the Professionals continually try to pound a square peg in a round hole?

2) Every time I hear the name Roddy White, I can't help but think of the below video clip:



Yes, that was one of the Top 5 moments of my adolescence.

3) I just read the following stat and I'm overwhelmed. Really, I don't know what to say, but wow:


Today, Reid's team won its 100th regular-season game in the 2000s. According to the Eagles, only Tom Landry (1970s), Don Shula ('70s) and Bill Belichick (2000s) have won 100 games in a single decade.

This stat reminds me of that old Sesame Street clip "One of These Kids Is Doing His Own Thing". Can you guess what separates Reid from Landry, Shula and Belichick? Of course, that's a rhetorical question.

4) The Cowboys are one more December loss away from me writing an entire blog entry comparing the Cowboys annual choke job to the one turned in by the Mets every year. With upcoming games against the Chargers and Saints, I should probably start drafting that post now.
5) Giants' week is here. Thank God they won this week, I really love when both teams are fully invested in these games. It makes them infinitely more interesting.


6) With all the extensions the Birds are handing out, how about calling Leonard Weaver's agent. I really like what big Leonard adds to this team and I'd like to see him stick around for a couple more years.

7) Sheldon Brown is a pro's pro. I like this guy more and more each year.

No comments: