Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Wade-ing Back Into The Pack


With my Phils' post this evening, I have come full circle in my first week back. All Philly teams have been addressed. I feel like all my children have received some attention and I can now focus on my favorites. Without any further adieu, it is time to talk some Phils.

Ahhh yes, the Phils, everyone's darlings. Who doesn't love Chase, Ryan, J Roll, Uncle Cholly and Cliff Lee after the moments we've shared with them over the last two years? They've become more like members of the family than guys that appear on a TV screen. We've come to adore them so much that they lost a World Series this past year and it hardly raised a ripple of discontent through these parts. Of course, that's the kind of good will generated by a title, followed up by another championship round visit. (I urge the Birds to try out this kind of success. I think it would give Banner and Lurie the universal acceptance they've always clamored for)

Like a lot of you, I've spent quite a bit of time basking in the glow of the best two year run of baseball in Phillies history. However, I think it's time to move on and set our sights on 2010. I think we all want to see a return to the glory of 2008, but after reading recent quotes from Ruben Amaro, Jr., I have started wondering if the Phils' brass has the balls and stomach to go for it again. I am getting nervous that the ownership group is now ready to sit on their satisfied asses and rake in the dough instead of seeking out another crucial piece or two to put them back on par with the Yankees.

Ok, I hear you. It's early in the free agent period and I should relax. Well, I urge you to take a look at this quote from Ruben Amaro, Jr the other day and let me know who it sounds like:


"We'd like to add some more depth if we could," said Amaro, who added that any signing was likely to be a low-risk, high-reward type of pitcher. "But pitchers aren't falling out of trees, and I don't have an unlimited budget."

Yup, it sounds like none other than our old friend, Ed Wade and it friggin' scares the shit out of me.

Based on yesterday's press conference, it sounds the Phils are going back to the bargain basement for free agents. How does former Phil Placido Polanco at 3rd Base and John Smoltz as a reliever sound? Sounds absolutely disappointing to me.

After two straight seasons of a nearly sold out stadium, as well as the extra revenue from two full postseasons, the Phils should be in the next rung of spenders right under Boston and the Yanks. There should be nothing preventing the Phils from going after Chone Figgins to play third base. Chone is exactly what the Phils need. He could move J Roll out of the lead off spot and provide a guy that would always be on base when Utley and Howard come up to the plate. But alas, Figgins will never be a Phil as there is news this evening that the Phils are targeting Polanco. I'm seriously underwhelmed.

I just hope that someone reminds the Phils that they got to two straight World Series (winning one) by exercising the Ghost Of Ed Wade. Come on, guys. Let's not that type of philosophy anywhere near Citizens Bank Park.

(By the way, I really do hope I'm over reacting.)

1 comment:

Frank said...

I think your being slightly irrational here. Polanco (career 303 hitter: feliz .254 - its is an upgrade- big upgrade at the plate; hopefully slight downgrade in the field. The Phils strikeout number for the year takes a big drop. Also, leaves them money to try & find bullpen help...we could win the world series for ever & still not have the type of money the yanks & red sox have to spend.