Thursday, December 03, 2009

Top 5 Friday - All Time 5 Toughest Losses In Philly Sports History



In an effort to not completely burn out on blogging again, I'm trying to build in a couple of new staples to the blog to keep things fresh. So, that led me to PSP's newest weekly feature...Top 5 Friday.

Most of you know that I live and die with Rutgers Football. In 2006, RU started the year 9-1 and only needed one more win at West Virginia to clinch their first ever BCS Bowl (the Orange Bowl), but it wasn't to be. RU lost in triple overtime 41 to 39 down in Morgantown when the referees decided to swallow their whistles as Ray Rice was interfered with on the game ending two point conversion attempt. I was pretty much inconsolable after the game. RU went from potentially playing in the Orange Bowl to ending up in the friggin' Texas Bowl against an overmatched Kansas State team. When I told JK about my idea for this post, she said "that was the one time I thought you were going to cry over a game." Yup, it was that bad. In honor of the three year anniversary of the toughest loss I have ever lived through as a sports fan, I decided this week's Top 5 list would commemorate the Top 5 Toughest Philly sports losses (since I know most of you could give a crap about the State University of New Jersey).

So, let's unveil the Philly Sports Phan's Top 5 Toughest list in reverse order:

5. 1981 Super Bowl (Birds vs. Raiders) - Yes, I realize the Birds were never really in this one, but I was 8 years old at the time and hadn't built up a hardened exterior to the failure of Philly teams. I cried like a baby at the end of the game.

4. 1993 World Series, Game 4 (Phils vs. Blue Jays) - Yup, the infamous 15-14 game. I was a student at RU at the time and I think I cleared out my entire apartment building that night with all the yelling I did. I think my room mates were ready to have me committed.

3. 1987 Game 7, Stanley Cup Finals (Flyers vs. Oilers) - This Flyers team was totally outclassed in terms of talent by the Oilers' Dynasty, but this may be the hardest working, gutsiest team to ever play in Philly. When they got up 1-0 early in Game 7, there was hope that maybe they'd pull off an unbelievable upset behind sensational rookie, Ron Hextall, but Gretzky, Messier and Co. shattered those dreams by taking a 3-1 victory to clinch the title.


2. 1993 World Series, Game 6 (Phils vs. Blue Jays) - I think we all still ask ourselves "why didn't Frego just leave Roger Mason in to close out the game?!?!?!?!?" It's one thing to lose, it's another thing when your Manager just about quits on the team and makes an absolutely ridiculous decision. This team deserved better from their leader. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I was absolutely numb after this loss.


1. 2003 NFC Championship Game (Birds vs. Bucs) - In all my life, there had never been a set up like this. It was as much of a sure thing as I had ever seen. It was the last game of the Vet. Tampa had never won a game played in temperatures under 40 degrees. The Birds had owned the Bucs in the couple of years prior to this game. You could not have asked for anything more and it sure seemed like the Birds were heading to the Super Bowl when they took a 7-0 lead just three plays into the game. Unfortunately, it was not to be. The Birds totally stopped playing and Tampa beat up the Birds on the way to a 27 to 10 victory. That game affected me deeply. I went into a depression for nearly a month. I pretty much stopped trusting any Philly team from that moment until the 2008 Phils won the title.
By the way, I still don't think Joe Jurevicius on his infamous 71 yard momentum turning reception or Rhonde Barber on his 90 yard, game clinching pick 6 have stopped running.

Honorable Mention:

- St. Joe's Loss in 2004 Final 8 to Okie State - I have a number of friends that went to St. Joe's. They all felt like they were run over by a train after that heart breaker;



-The Fog Bowl, Birds vs. Bears - We all know how the NFL screwed the Birds in that one;



-Eagles Lose to Dallas in 2nd Round of 1992 Playoffs - The loss marked the end of Buddy/Reggie/Randall era game;



-Game 4 of 2009 World Series, Phils vs. Yanks - The Johnny Damon Double Steal Game;



-Game 5 of the 1st Round of the 1984 NBA Playoffs, Sixers vs. Nets - Sixers fall behind 0-2, force a Game 5 and then blow the game to the Nets failing to defend their 1983 title;



-2005 Super Bowl, Birds vs. Pats -Donovan pukes and fails to run the two minute offense.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The RU loss was harder to swallow than the Philly losses with the 2005 Super Bowl loss a close second. I still haven't seen a highlight / lowlight real of that Patriots loss to this day.

If it wasn't for a solid helping of Natural Light, seeing Joe Carter's walk off would be have stung worse than the others!

Tom F.

Anonymous said...

i can't stand hockey but wasn't there a game 7 loss to the Isle's w/ a high stick and offsides? that was a bummer.
How about the Birds Panthers Championship game. McNabb takes a late hit busts up his ribs no flag and we never had a chance after that.

"The Wife" said...

I have got to admit that the RU loss was the worse. Not only did the lose and my husband was devastated, but it really screwed up my New Year's Eve plans, spending it in sunny Florida at the Orange Ball....damn West Virginia!

Philly Sports Phan said...

I guess I should have been more clear that these were the toughest losses I went through.

Capt good call on Game 6 of the 1980 SCF's. I guess I was too young for that game to bother me too much, but I remember the old man flipping out.

As for the Panthers game, meh...I guess I never fully believed they had a a chance after the fluke 4th and 26 victory over GB the week before.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Wonderful topic, but will this really work?

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.