Monday, December 15, 2008

Absolutely Unlistenable


I think I might have found something to break me out of my rut/writers' block/general indifference towards sports, life, health and basic daily hygiene. (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a tad. I did shower this morning, but all kidding aside, I really have been in a malaise since the World Series title.)


Tony Kornheiser must be stopped and he must be stopped now. He single handedly made tonight's broadcast intolerable. I like Mike Tirico. I really like Jaws. However, Tony Kornheiser monopolized the air time with his anti Philadelphia/pro McNabb drivel and made the ESPN broadcast made me want to slit my wrists and set myself on fire. He's beyond brutal and I found myself quickly tired of his unqualified pontificating. At times, he'd go off on a tangent and I'd wonder if he's using the Monday Night Football audience as a sounding board for material to use in his next column or if he really believed the b.s. he espoused. Christ, I just wish the guy would have shut up so I could watch the game and enjoy it.


This little experiment of adding a non-sports guy to the booth has to end. While Dennis Miller was semi-listenable because he knew his role, Kornheiser thinks he's Howard Cosell reincarnated. I now realize why I stopped watching most Monday Night games. The telecast (and most of the games) are just terrible.


I know....I could just turn down the sound on the TV and watch Merrill, but I don't feel like listening to a play two or three seconds before or after I see it. If the radio feed was synced up, maybe I'd listen to it, but it seems like too much of a hassle.


*****************************************


Oh yeah, I almost forgot. A game was played this evening. The Birds looked pretty decent until they got to the red zone. Then they melted down. If they want to continue this run, they must improve over the next couple weeks in the red zone. Other than the red zone performance, D Mac looked pretty decent and spread the ball around like the old days, but still needs to be more effective in the red zone. It was also disappointing to see the de-emphasis from the run game. I thought Big Red noticed how team's fortunes had changed when he kept the ball on the ground, but tonight he reverted to his pass happy ways.


Before I forget, what the hell was that monstrosity at the end of the half? The time management was terrible and so was the play calling. At the half, I was so frustrated, I put the Phils' World Series highlight video in the lap top to help calm me down.


As for the defense, I thought they played pretty well against a Triple A level offense. The most impressive performance was by Trent Cole who seemed to have his way against a damn good Left Tackle in Joe Thomas.


Now, we move onto the Redskins. I really have no clue what to expect next week, but we have time to talk about that later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda hard to criticize a 30-3 win. (i don't count the 7 pts Kold gave them). If this team goes to Kolb in '09 it will be a terrible mistake. The kid looks like a punk and plays worse. I would Bronx Tale his ass and put him in the bathroom w/ JoJo the Whale. We moved the ball, played well on D etc etc. Real games the next 2 weeks and I suspect the biggest Birds Boys contest in 15 years.

George said...

I agree 100% on Kornheiser. I can't stand him. Jaws gets annoying sometimes too. Tirico is good. He is good at golf too.

Why is everybody assuming that the Falcons will lose a game? They play the Vikings and Rams.