Monday, December 08, 2008

I Feel Like I Don't Know You Guys Anymore


Can someone please explain yesterday's game to me? I am still trying to figure out how the Birds flat out dominated the best team in football yesterday.

Not only did the Birds dominate the G Men's offense, holding them to 141 total yards before the Birds gave up a junker TD while in the prevent defense, but the Birds once again used a strong running game to control the clock and put the game away. Frankly, I'm shocked that the Birds put such an emphasis on the run the last two weeks. This team always seems to have more success when they run the ball more or at least shows some sort of balance. Despite evidence of success with such playcalling, Reid keeps trying to fit his square peg pass first offensive philosophy into a round hole of offensive players. I just don't understand him anymore, but this blog does a pretty decent job of summing up my frustration.

However, don't get too excited about this sudden change. It doesn't appear that this a long term movement. Big Red announced in his press conference today that he only ran the ball so much due to the windy weather in the Meadowlands yesterday, which led to this witty reparte between Reid and Les Bowen of the Daily News:


Bowen: “Do fans who want to see you run the ball more hope for really high winds the rest of the season?”

Reid: “I think the fans just want to win. They don’t care if we run it or pass it.”
Great...not only is Reid stubborn, but he's dense, somehow missing the joke in Bowen's question.


In any event, the question we are left with is "who are these guys?" Are they the group that dominated AFC and NFC contenders, the Steelers and Giants respectively, or are they the group that slept walked through the Bengals debacle or got tattooed by the Ravens? I suppose they have to be somewhere in the middle. Although, even I have to admit that the next two games are shaping up nicely for them and lead up to a Sunday night show down with Dallas to determine which team makes the playoffs.


While everyone seems ready to annoit this team to a playoff spot, I need to see more. I'm sure the city will be besides themselves after next Monday's likely destruction of the Browns, but I want to see the game against the Skins before committing back to this team. I still think they have a ton of wholes, but who knows...maybe I'm wrong.

2 comments:

gump said...

hmmm.....I have to admit...I'm getting dejavu all over again!! Is this early September? Did the Phils just get swept by the Brewers? Just when I counted THEM out, well, we know what happened. I'm not saying anything more, because I don't believe that Big Red will keep this game plan, even though it's working great!! But who knows...it IS December, and he does know how to win in December, so lets enjoy this ride a little bit too!!

Anonymous said...

the big one will be at Washington. And we need some help from Atlanta, who should fall short this week vs. Tampa. Just get in. Week 1 vs. Arizona and I like our chances there. Then at the Giants.