Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Deja Vu?


We're about a third of the way into the hockey season and I realized that I haven't really talked about the Orange & Black...wait, I haven't written much at all, so I guess I haven't overlooked them. I've just ignored them. So let's try to rectify that and talk a little Flyers hockey.


In case you've missed it, the Flyers have been carried by two of their young stars through the early part of the season. Jeff Carter has absolutely exploded this season and is tied for the NHL lead in goals scored. (Does anyone else remember a Flyer being at the top of the goal scoring chart this late in the season? I don't.) Mike Richards has picked up where he has left off last season, and continued to grow as a scorer, captain and complete player.


With the leaps and bounds these two have made the past two years, they are starting to remind me of Chase Utley and Ryan Howard a couple years ago. Carter and Richards are two young guys just starting to realize their potential and figuring out how to play at the highest level in the NHL. Carter has the best wrist shot I've seen on the Flyers since the Big E and Richards appears to be the closest thing to Clarkie this franchise has seen since the glory days. Richards shows up every day, plays hard, supports his teammates, and is unbelievably dangerous on the PK.


As much as I'm excited to watch Carter and Richards grow together, they are not going to reach the Utley/Howard level of team dominance unless they find their version of Brad Lidge (i.e., a kick ass, top notch goalie. Sorry, Mar-TAN BEE-ron, won't win you a Cup.)


In the meantime, they are becoming awfully fun to watch.

2 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

And now you've completely mooshed them Thanks.

George said...

You did not mention Knuble.