Sunday, December 02, 2007

How Depressing


I really can't think of any other way to describe the 2007 football season and the teams I root for. It has just been a miserable season. Just about a 180 from last year. In '06, we had the totally unexpected Jeff Garcia fueled run to the division title. Watching last year's team over the last part of the regular season and playoffs was so much fun. I felt like I was watching a real team. Plus, my Scarlet Knights had a dream season, which kept me on cloud 9 from late August to the end of December.

Now, fast forward a year.....The Eagles are in total disarray. The fan base (me included) has decided that it is time for D Mac to go, but after today, which I'll get to in a little bit, it doesn't look like we have a replacement. With the Giants and Cowboys coming on the schedule the next two weeks, it sure doesn't seem like the playoffs are anywhere in the 5-7 Eagles' future. Watching these games, I just don't get the feeling that there is a whole lot to get excited about with this team.

Further depressing me is the fact that my Scarlet Knights have fallen back to earth. Yeah, it's great that they are going to a bowl, but they had a team that was only outplayed once and easily could have been playing in a BCS bowl (I'm being totally serious here), if the entire team and coaching staff showed a little more leadership and heart this year.

Plus, the team I decided I jumped on the bandwagon for this year (the Cleveland Browns) lost a heart breaker today when the refs didn't have the balls to call a force out on the last play of the game. Christ, I decided to root for the West Virginia Mountaineers on Saturday night and they lost also.

So, it's a bit of an understatement to say that I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies from this football season.

Ok, back to today's Eagles' game. This loss revealed why AJ Feeley is a backup in this league. It's ok to every once in a while throw an interception to a LB that you missed in underneath coverage. However, to do it three times in one game is absolutely unacceptable. I know that Lofa Tatupu is excellent in zone coverage, but c'mon! Would it have killed Feeley to try and look the guy off before throwing over the middle? AJ is what he is....a career backup.

The question now becomes, what happens next week? According to Andy, if Donovan is healthy, he will play. If he does play, I will really be interested to see which McNabb shows up. Call me crazy, but I think he'll play a bit better knowing the season is basically over and the pressure is off.

I'm still wondering how the hell this team didn't punch the ball into the end zone to win the game after B West's clutch punt return. The play calling before the inexcusable pick to effectively end the game was absolutely atrocious. What the hell was Reid doing calling that inside trap to Buck? If they were inside the 5, I would understand the call. Calling that play from the 15 was a total waste of a down, and more importantly, time on the clock.

As for the rest of the team, I thought the only bright spots were Kevin Curtis and JR Reed. I think Curtis can be real effective on this team if they can another legit receiver across from him. Sorry, Reggie Brown is not cutting it for me. JR Reed once again showed that he deserves a look on defense for the rest of the year. It just makes me laugh that we have two street free agents on this team that play safety than another one of our busted draft picks.

As my buddy the Captain said today, "I have find something better to do with my time. This team is not worth it." I really doubt that either of us will follow through with that, but it's a good thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AJ killed us no doubt. But in his defense it was his 15th start and only his 23rd game in the NFL. Those mistakes yesterday come from lack of playing time in my opinion. He has a strong arm avoids pressure and has balls. Too bad he throws the ball to the wrong team too often.

Andy Reid called a terrible game on offense yesterday. Combine that w/ 4 picks and you lose to a playoff team every time.

Seattle is the worst 8-4 NFL franchise I've ever seen. But in this NFC they probably win a playoff game possibly 2 if they catch the Pack in Round 2.

The Wildcard is a joke as the Giants had no business winning that game. I guess the gods took away what they gave the Bears here a month ago. The G-Men winning actually helps our wildcard standing and almost guarantees a birds victory this coming week. Arizona won along w/ Minnesota to get to 6-6, but Detroit and the Saints lost. AS I see it in the NFC the division leaders are set and the Giants have 1 WC spot. There are a few teams at 6-6 and a few at 5-7 to battle for the last playoff spot. flip a coin.

The NFL should have a losers playoff check out these matchups:

NFC:

Birds vs. New Orleans
Bears vs. Minn.

AFC:

Ravens vs. Bengals
Jets vs. Broncos