Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Belated Christmas!


After taking another one of my patented writing breaks, I'm back once again to dispense my thoughts on the topics of the day as they relate to the Philadelphia sports world.

While the Christmas sports season is usually quiet when you have a football team that failed to qualify for the playoffs, a few things have happend around Philly which have been mildly interesting. So let's run through them, shall we:

Eagles Beat Up Saints - Sunday, was by far the most fun I've spent watching an Eagles game all year. The offense clicked and the defense made a number of big plays. D Mac looked to have turned back the clock a couple of years and made throws he did not even attempt a good part of the season. Plus, it seemed to me that Marty and Big Red called a good game as they put their "players in position to make plays". The best part about the defensive performance was the play of kids like Trent Cole, Stewart Bradley, Omar Gaither, Chris Gocong, Mike Patterson and Broderick Bunkley. It was great to see the kids step up and show that they could be effective in the National Football League.

As great as they looked, our enthusiasm should be tempered by two things: (1) the Saints down right stink defensively; and (2) our Birds had absolutely NO pressure on them. Additionally, I got a laugh out of the media's wild mood change over this team in the last two weeks. After the Giants loss, the story we saw a number of times was that this team did not have the top end talent needed to win in the NFL. Now, after two wins against the Cowboys and the Saints, the question has become "how far away is this team from becoming a contender?" Peter King even called the Birds the best team to not make the playoffs.

Am I alone in thinking that this rash change in opinion is a bit curious? The Birds beat the Cowboys who were playing with a QB that couldn't grip the ball and then beat a Saints team that was terrible defensively and beat up on offense. As for my thoughts on the topic, I am in the middle on their proximity to becoming a contender again. I think they need help in a lot of spots (DE, TE, WR, S and CB) and really need to figure out the McNabb situation before I can look at this team as a contender.

Stewart Bradley is Canonized - I agree with the rest of the Delaware Valley. Stew had a nice half of football against the Saints and I hope it is a peek at what he can become, but can we put away the annoiting oil for at least another week?

Sheldon Brown Blames Big Red For Playoff-less Season - Ok, maybe he didn't come right out and blame Andy, but Sheldon sure calls out the coaching staff for making the team feel tight earlier in the season. As PFT explained, I'm a bit surprised this statement has been followed up by the other Philly media outlets.

Flyers Falling Apart - After their fast start, it sure sucks to see the Orange & Black starting to fall apart, but wasn't this somewhat expected? There was a huge turnover on this roster from last year and at times it stil seems like they are learning to play with each other. Hopefully, this team comes together in a hurry and tightens up their defensive lapses. Plus, how many Flyer teams have we seen in the last decade where the team is peaking in January and then falls apart in March and April? Maybe this team gets it together at the right time.

He is So Taguchi and I am So Excited - Of course, my excitement about the pickup of Taguchi, has nothing to do with his prowess as a pinch hitter and defensive outfielder. It has everything to do with the clever jokes (like the one above) I can now come up based around his name.

Sixers Show Some Life - Ok, here's the portion of this post that I realize everyone will skip over. I'm sure most of you don't care (and honestly, I don't really care a whole lot either), but the Sixers have won 7 out of their last 10. I suppose it's great to see them win, but wouldn't it serve this franchise better for them to lose at a higher pace to secure a better chance at winning the lottery? Wait a second...I think I said the same thing last year and the organization screwed things up royally. Is there any reason to expect they won't do the same again? (Is there anyone still with me? Just wondering.)

I'm going to the Flyers game tomorrow night, so there may not be a post tomorrow night, but I have the day off, so hopefully I'll get something posted if my daughter permits it.

7 comments:

George said...

You had the most fun of the year watching a meaningless game?I am shocked that McNabb suddenly played well when there was no pressure.

As a side question, why didn't the NFL schedule an early Christmas Eve game in addition to the lame Broncos-Chargers game at night? TV was horrible on Monday - Tuesday.

How about that ridiculous icing call that cost the Flyers the game vs. Buffalo on Saturday?

Philly Phan said...

Yeah, the icing call was ridiculous, but if they won the faceoff, cleared the front, or made the save, they win that game.

Also, is it absolutely ridiculous that this team has no shot in the shootout. Why not just forfeit the shootout? They look that beleagured.

Yes, that was the most fun I've had this season w/ the Eagles. They've been so incredibly boring to watch all year that this actually piqued my interest. I could care less that the game meant nothing as far as the post season is concerned.

I suppose for once the NFL showed a heart and that's why only one game was broadcast.

Anonymous said...

The Sixers actually have some decent young talent. I like Lou Williams a bunch and AI is a model citizen and heck of a player. I wonder if the point guard can get us a young player in a trade to help the rebuilding of this squad? Korver is a fine 6th man.

Anonymous said...

The biggest frustration w/ this Eagles team is the fact that were better than all but 2 teams in the NFC. We wasted a year in which B West was spectacular and the defense played well except for 5 quarters.

Its nice to see some of the young players finally contributing. Our front 7 on defense is young and promissing for 2008. We need to add a player or 2 in the secondary and maybe another DE. I would like to see the kid from ND play some at DE this week and next summer.

On offense, I must admit we desperately need another WR. Maybe is we addressed this position correctly in 2002 we would have a ring or two by now! I hope Buck or a Buck type returns next year to spell Westbrook and a TE that could open the middle of the field. In any event, I do feel we're a playoff team next year and depending on what happens in Dallas we could contend for another NFC East title. McNabb seems to be fully recovered from his knee injury and deserves another season as the starting QB.

Anonymous said...

things are right in the world the flyers are in last place and no one cares. It seems like 2 weeks ago this squad was a serious playoff contender. Not sure what happened as they only play once ever 6 days, but they've found their way back to the basement. How Bobby Clarke is allowed in the state of Pa let alone allowed to construct this team year after year is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Capt...that was a classic Flyers post. For about 3 seconds, I thought you believed that Clarke is still was running the team. Nice work out of you.

Anonymous said...

so you're telling me someone else has destructed this team other than Mr. Clarke?

That's news to me, too much time reading how to break 80 books online. my apologies.