Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Random Thoughts

Sorry to those of you who may have stopped by my blog and wondered where all the updates had gone, but I've been a bit tied up with the end of my semester for my MBA program. I'm just two on-line classes away from finishing up this program and I promise to never, ever take another academic class in my life. If I ever say anything to the contrary, I give you guys permission to kick me in the balls....hard.

On the bright side, my mini vacation has (once again) allowed a number of stories to add up that I need to comment upon. So, without further adieu....

The Disaster That Is Our Philadelphia Eagles - How freakin' depressing was Sunday's game? Between the dreary weather and lack of exciting offense, I felt like I was watching a funeral. Sure it was a close game and the Birds did have a chance to tie it on the end on Akers' 57 yard FG attempt, but these Eagles don't provide a whole lot of hope for the future. Rarely do you see a big play by a young kid and project to what that player can become. Right now, the Birds are in purgatory. They aren't a playoff contender and they're not a young team on the rise. They are what the Sixers were in the last couple years of AI. They have their moments, but you know it's not ultimately going to lead anywhere.

Worst of all, Donovan is flat out painful to watch navigate the Birds' offense. If you had any hope that Donovan would have a place on this team next year, Sunday's game destroyed that thought. Sunday reinforced to me that D Mac appears to have little confidence in his own ability to stick a throw downfield into tight coverage and even less confidence that his receivers will make a play for him. The sad thing is that this team is wasting a career year out of B West.

In addition to #5's struggles, the problems of our DB's is even more confounding. Lito was flat out brutal on Sunday. If he can't run, he really should be sat down until he's healthy. Sheldon was not much better against the G Men either. Neither could cover Plaxico, who once again had a field day against the Birds's secondary. (You can add Plex to other current Philly killers such as Martin Brodeur, Billy King, and Jose Mesa...actually, check out this blog for a really good list of Phillies Killers.)

Now that Birds are fully out of the playoffs, I really don't have much motivation to watch the next three games, including the inevitable blow out in Dallas this Sunday. However, much like a car accident on the side of the road, I'll be drawn to at least check it out. I have the feeling I won't be alone.

Old Time Hockey Rules - Last night's Flyers game against the Pens was by far the most entertaining since the New NHL was born post lock out. The Flyers beat the crap out of a pretty decent team both on the scoreboard and with their fists. Although, it was pretty embarrassing to see Ben Eager get his ass handed to him by a 41 year old.

Anyhow, I'm real bullish on the Flyers chances. The scoring depth is about to be improved even more when Gagne comes back some time during the next week. All this team needs is another offensive defenseman and a legit heavyweight to finish the battles that our scrappy bunch of Flyers start.

The Phillies Are So Effed - Bye Bye Aaron Rowand and Tad Iguchi. Hello platoons of Shane Victorino/Jayson Werth and Wes Helms/Greg Dobbs. Don't know about you guys, but I'm not real warm and fuzzy over those two moves.
What the Phils are doing this offseason is nearly criminal. This organization is so freakin' frustrating. They have three MVP caliber players, two top of the rotation starters and they acquired a legit closer earlier in the offseason. All this team needs is decent complimentary players, not stars. That's what makes this organization so upsetting.

Tim Tebow Is My Hero - I wish I could add something clever or witty here, but these pictures of the girlfriend of 2007 Heisman Trophy Winner, Tim Tebow, have rendered me speechless.



I thought Tom Brady and Tony Romo had it pretty good, but I've been corrected. Tim Tebow is God.

4 comments:

st. joe's nick said...

Man, we are in for a long, cold winter yet again this year. Since the Eagles suck and the Phils aren't looking like they are going to be much to get excited about next year, I might have to actually become a hockey fan again and start watching the Flyers.

Anonymous said...

I think those bombs are real. i mean, who would put in boobies that large. God bless her.

Philly Phan said...

I'm w/ you Capt...those are real. This broad's physique is as freakish as Shaq or Reggie White. You just don't find chicks like this in the wild.

sbotts said...

Can you find more pic's of her???