Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A.I. to Stay


After all the trade talk, it appears A.I. is coming back.I'm very underwhelmed by the news. I could see the fresh start on the horizon, but now it is gone. As a result, it appears as though I'll be ignoring the Sixers for another year.

I'm happy for A.I., if this is what he wants, but unhappy for the rest of us Sixers fans. You can put me in the camp of people that want to see the Sixers tear it down and start over. It is pretty clear that with A.I., the Sixers will either be a low playoff seed or back in the lottery without any hope of getting the top spot. This would be unfortunate as next year's draft could be especially deep due to the number of high school players who had to wait a year before they could enter the draft. The prize of next year's draft will likely be this year's High School player of the year, Greg Oden, a 7 foot center who will attend Ohio St this year. I would have traded a horrible year by the Sixers, if it meant a shot at the league's next dominant big man. However, with A.I. coming back, we can kiss that possibility good bye.

In any event, I can't see bringing AI back as working out real well for the Sixers. After being shopped all summer, I am waiting to see a reprise of the Nomar Garciaparra mess in Boston when he was nearly traded in the 2004 offseason for A-Rod and then sulked his way through the first half of the season until he was finally shipped to the Cubs at the trade deadline. Similarly, I think Iverson wants out. I believe he wants a fresh start on a team with a shot at winning a title. If I'm right, just like Nomar, he'll be traded in season for a lesser package than those rumored over the last few weeks.

Way to go, Billy. You also got me back on board and paying attention to the Sixers, but once again you have proven how incompetent you are.

[UPDATE: ESPN is now reporting a rumor that A.I. may be traded to the Kings. So who knows at this point. I guess I won't be surprised by anything at this point.]

3 comments:

Philly Phan said...

I get the distinct feeling that no one in this city gives a F*(K about the Sixers.

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»