Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I'm Certainly In the Minority With This One


It has become a foregone conclusion in this city that when Billy King eventually trades AI, it will be universally panned as a complete disaster that will leave the Sixers in the depths of a nuclear winter for the foreseeable future. I can't say I blame the unsilent majority. His history shows he is a below average G.M. He has made his share of bad trades. He has given out more ill advised long term contracts than the knuckleheads across the street that run the Phils. In fact, King has either signed or obtained 3 of the players included in the top 25 worst contracts in the NBA. List of 25 Worst NBA Contracts) Fortunately, his drafts have been slightly better than his signings.

However, whenever public opinion is so slanted in one direction, I can't help but get suspicious and start to lean in the other direction. The most common refrain I hear when a potential AI trade is brought up is that "I agree that AI should be traded, but I don't trust Billy King to pick the right deal." I haven't heard a single person express any confidence that King will cure the Sixers uninspiring and downright boring play of recent years by dealing "The Answer." I'll admit that I'm not ultra-confident that he'll broker the right deal, but this many people can't be right on a single topic. I am going out on a limb and predicting that whenever AI is dealt, it will work out just fine for your Seventy Sixers. Plus, after the disastrous results the last 3 times they traded a franchise player (Wilt, Moses, and Charles), the Sixers have more karma on their side than Earl Hickey.

The deals rumored to date have been mildly interesting. Getting a young athletic power forward (Al Jefferson) as well as a capable low post scorer and rebounder (Boozer) for AI wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. It just leaves the question...who eff would be our point guard? Maybe that's why Billy was working so hard to obtain Randy Foye on draft night. I think Foye would have looked great in Sixers uniform even though he played at that school on the Main Line with all those elitist snobs. Anyhow, if Billy can work a deal where we get a first round pick, a young athletic power forward and a point guard not adverse to playing defense, passing to the open man and knocking down the occasional open J, I will be ecstatic. Don't get me wrong, I love AI and believe he will go down as the quintessential Philly athlete, right up there with Lenny Dykstra, Chuck Bednarik and Bobby Clarke, but it is time for him to move on for both the best of his career and the future of the Sixers.

As Skee Lo from Gnarls Barkley sings, "Maybe I'm Crazy. Probably", but here's one vote of support for good ol' Billy King pulling off a decent deal to make our hometown team relevant again.

No comments: