Thursday, July 13, 2006

Let The Fire Sale Begin!


Now that our Fightin’ Phils are about to embark on the second half of the season out of contention, we can turn our attention to the trading deadline, which is only a short 18 days away. Since we’re about to be put a lap down by the Mets, there’s no reason for the Phils to be anything but sellers at the deadline. Plus, I have to agree with Billy Wagner’s comments on SI.Com a couple weeks ago that the nucleus of this team will never win a thing. So why waste time? Let’s start trading off any and all spare assets in an effort to rescue the future of the franchise.

It also doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that this team needs pitching, pitching, a young catcher and third baseman, as well as some more pitching. So let’s look at our tradeable assets:

  • Bobby Abreu – I think our gold glove winning right fielder needs a fresh start as much as AI does at this point. He has a big contract, but with only two years remaining it is not impossible that big spenders like the BoSox, Yanks and Angels could be interested. However, every ESPN talking head I’ve heard interviewed in the past week says that Gillick still wants one front line starting pitcher for him, so I can’t see him being dealt at the deadline. A trade could likely happen in the offseason, but not now. However, if we want to pick up decent prospects at catcher, third base, and starting pitching, this may be the chip to move. I guess Abreu will be moved only if Gillick changes what he’s looking for. Although, if it was up to me, I’d keep Abreu and trade …..
  • Pat Burrell – I hope the rest of you were as infuriated as I was when I read the story this week about Pat the Bat walking out of the clubhouse in DC last September with a six pack ready to start his offseason of chasing skirts and golfing, as the rest of the team was crowded around a television rooting for the Cubs to beat the Astros in the last game of the season to force a one game playoff for the Wild Card. This guy is a cancer in the club house and a complete dog. He is the latter day Dave Kingman. I want him off the team. I don’t care if we have to pay half his salary for the rest of his contract. Just get rid of him. Plus, if he’s traded I won’t have to hear Wheels and Graham talk about his dog “Elvis” during the broadcasts, which annoys me to death. I’d love to see him end up with the Yankees and get booed up there for the rest of his career. All this being said, it’s not realistic to believe he will be dealt, so we’ll have to continue to suffer through his numerous strike outs where he tries to influence the ump by jumping backwards out of the box and his .068 batting average with men in scoring position and less than 2 outs.
  • Rheal Cormier – My buddy George absolutely loves Cormier, which is as dumbfounding to me as someone who loves Temple football. Anyhow, Cormier’s stock will never be higher after compiling a 1.16 ERA in the first half of the season. I can’t imagine this Canadian dog getting anyone out in a big spot in the postseason, but maybe some contender will give up a prospect or two to bolster their bullpen with a lefty reliever. A return to Boston wouldn’t be a total shock.
  • Flash Gordon – If it was up to me, I’d deal him as a desperate contender could give up the next Jeff Bagwell, Jason Varitek or John Smoltz much like Boston, Seattle and Detroit did in picking up Larry Anderson, Heathcliff Slocum and Doyle Alexander respectively, in ill fated trade deadline deals. I understand the importance of having a decent closer to raise the confidence of a young starting staff, but an All Star closer on a bad team is as superfluous as tits on a bull. (I’ve always loved that line.)
  • John Lieber – He’s been a bust this year, but he’d be a perfect fit as a 4th or 5th starter for the Sox, Mets or Yanks. People forget that he had a strong postseason for the Yanks in 2004 before they completely folded against the Sox. A couple young prospects in return would be a windfall. I’d even drive his fat ass up to either destination.
  • Lieby – I’ve heard there is some interest in Lieby from other teams. I really can’t believe these rumors. Who wants a horrible defensive catcher that is always hurt and has declining skills at the plate? If we can get a prospect, I’d be ecstatic. If he sticks around, at least this is the last year of his contract.
  • Delucci/Victorino – If we can’t trade Burrell and Abreu, then there is absolutely no reason to keep them when a contender will surely overpay for an extra bat off the bench. These are the kind of guys you can trade for decent pitching prospects.

As you can see, the possibilities are endless. Gillick has the chance to reshape the future of the losing-est team in professional sports history and put his stamp on this team for years to come. However, if this team “Stands Pat”, we’ll just see more of the same mediocrity we’ve become accustomed to out of our Fightins’.

3 comments:

George said...

They should keep Cormier and get rid of that bum Arthur Rhodes. Uncle Charlie insists on sending him out there in the 8th inning of every game despite his ERA over 5.00. That ERA would be even higher if Gordon hadn't come in to bail him out a few times.

Incidentally, Cormier's trade value would be higher if he had gotten the All-Star selection that he deserved. How can the leading ERA man for all relievers not be picked? 1.16 ERA? That is almost unheard of.

Philly Phan said...

I'll tell you what, if you can find me more than one middle reliever that was named to an all star team in the last five years, I'll buy you dinner at a moderately priced restaurant.

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, Nick. My buddy George loves Cormier for some unexplained reason. His record with inherited runners has been BRUTAL lately.