Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Please Make Them An Offer They Won't Refuse


I’m sure many of you have read Bill Giles’ comments the other day in the news papers. Most of what he said didn’t really shock me. I realize that he is old and out of touch. A couple years ago I lived with my grandfather for a time period so I know the kind of stuff old, demented senior citizens tend to say. Frequently, they go on about real bizarre stuff to try and make themselves feel relevant in a world that has moved on without them.

Basically, the 71 year old Bill Giles was happy to have some of the spotlight back on him and couldn’t help himself from babbling on ridiculously about the state of the Phils. I loved how he would say he shouldn’t speak on a topic because he’s not a spokeman for the team, but would then ramble on giving his views on an issue.

My favorite part of the entire story was how David Montgomery had to basically b*tch slap him the old man back into whatever cave he was in by telling the media how Bill must have misconstrued some of his statements concerning the Brett Myers fiasco.

Later on Monday night, I turned on 610 and listened to all MacNow’s callers petrified over Giles’ edict that the current ownership group would not be selling the team anytime soon. Please people, do not get all worked up over this. I distinctly remember Harold Katz and Norman Braman making similar threats before selling their teams when they received overwhelming offers. In fact, I heard a rumor that the Phils once contacted Comcast to see if they had any interest in buying the team before the new ballpark was built. In my opinion, this team will be sold as soon as the owners receive what the Sports Guy likes to call “A Godfather Offer”…who you know, the kind you can’t refuse.

I begging someone, anybody…please send Luca Brasi down to Citizens Bank Park and make such an offer. We can’t get this group out of town soon enough and bring someone in who has a clue about running an organization.

2 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

You're a funny guy Sulley...

Philly Phan said...

As long as you don't promise to kill me last, things will be all good