Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ryan Howard Wins the Home Run Derby


To quote everyone's favorite former Sixer, Derrick Coleman, "whooptee damn doo". I really could care less. It just shows the nation once again that Philly athletes can come up big in ridiculous skills events (remember Randall winning all those QB Challenges in the early 90's?), but wilt under the pressure of real competition.

Serioulsy, I think I speak for the entire city....I sure hope this competion doesn't f&*k up Howard's swing in the same way Abreu never recovered from last year's unreal display of power in the HR Derby. Howard should be fine since he's a more natural power hitter than Abreu, but with the Phils luck, anything's possible.

My favorite part of the evening was Big Papi's interaction with Howard. Hearing him call Howard "my twin brother" and telling him "to come on DAWG!" in his Dominican accent was way too funny. Clearly, there is not a more likable athlete in all of professional sports than Big Papi. He's clutch AND personable. Not too shabby a combination, huh? Boston fans are lucky to have him.

No comments: