Thursday, April 30, 2009

Birds Draft Wrap


Now that the smoke has settled and draft weekend has passed, we can take a slightly more objective view of the Birds' draft. I have to say that my opinion has changed somewhat after taking a couple days to let my thoughts marinate.


Initially, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Maclin pick. I had a hard time understanding why we needed a receiver with pretty much the same skill set as DeSean, albeit in a bigger package. I also have a prejudice against receivers that come from spread offenses. In my mind, it's so hard to tell how good they are because the deception of the offense causes so many coverage breakdowns instead of the receiver shaking himself free due to running a good pattern. Plus, receivers in the spread never face press coverage. However, the more I got to thinking about it. I really like the pick of Jeremy Maclin.


McNabb has always been at his best when he has a legit deep threat (T.O., Donte Stallworth and DeSean.) D Mac was at his best in 2004 when he had two deep threats (T.O. and Pinky - don't laugh...he was a decent long ball threat that year.) Now, #5 is going to once again have two deep threats with the addition of Maclin, as well as a number of guys to throw to underneath. If the O Line gels early, we could be in store for a very good season offensively.


While I think Maclin will be eased into the lineup while he learns the intricacies of the pro game, he should be an instant contributor to special teams as I think we'll see him take over as the #1 kick returner and take some punt returns from DeSean as well.


I really like the Maclin's speed, hands and ability to run after the catch. He's not huge, but he's not tiny either. I really like this pick. I started to like the pick even more when I read how the Birds outmaneuvered the G Men for Maclin. However, as Bob Brookover of the Inky points out, let's hope this move works out better than the last time we beat the Giants to the punch for a first round draft pick.


As for second round pick LeSean McCoy, I absolutely love this selection. As a RU season ticket holder, I have watched LeSean for the last three years. I really like the kid's game. I think he can absolutely fill B West's shoes in future years, but certainly compliment him this year. I think he's a better runner between the tackles, but is not a true pounder. (In fact, I'd like to see one more back brought in to fill the big back role.) Actually, I would have been fine with McCoy as a first round pick, so I was ecstatic to see him picked up by the Birds in the second round.


As for the rest of the draft, nothing really stood out. I think the TE has a chance to be a player if he can make the change from the spread to a traditional offense and overcome past injuries. I love "Macho" Harris' nick name, but not sure where he fits in today's NFL with his 4.6 speed and below average size. I'll admit to not really knowing a thing about the rest of the picks, but the fifth round tackle sounds like he has a shot at becoming a backup.


I was kind of annoyed with the fact that it seemed that Birds mailed in a good part of the second day of the draft. I would have liked to have seen them use their 3rd round pick or pick up a 4th by trading one of their fifth's. I thought the Birds' could have used another DT or even another RB to hedge their bets. That's the only faults I see.


However, when evaluating the Birds' draft, you really need to factor in Jason Peters and Ellis Hobbs. Peters is a borderline Pro Bowler and Hobbs can be viewed as either an adequate starter or a great nickle corner. Either way, once throwing these two guys into the mix, how can you not really like what the Birds did with the draft?


Overall, I give the Birds an A- and can't wait to see this team on the field. If the trades work out and if the Birds get anything out of the first two picks, we could see a very good team this fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you factor in Peters and Hobbs, it seems like a terrific draft. Not sure why they passed on rounds 3 and 4, but to get the TE in round 5 makes me feel like they knew what they were doing. Macho looks like a football player regardless of the 40 time and should be a special teams beast. I have to believe Sheldon moves to safety in nickel and dime to get Hobbs, Joselio on the field.

If the O Line gels, we're stacked and should make another run. G Men will be very strong but I see the Boys and Skins moving in the wrong direction. If they stay healthy, I think they'll be right there come January.