Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Double Standard?

After watching yesterday's Flyers/Pens game, I am wondering if there is a double standard in how the league calls things for and against the Orange and Black.

For your consideration, here is yesterday's hellacious hit on Kimmo Timonen by Chris Kunitz which went unpenalized:



Now, compare that "clean" hit to this hit by former Flyer Steve Downie last year which resulted in a 20 game suspension.



Sorry, I don't see much difference in these hits. Clearly, there is a double standard. If a guy on the Flyers receives a hit like this, it's fine. We'll just move on and say that's "tough, physical hockey". However, if it is a Flyer doling out the punishment, then Bettman and the Hockey Gestappo will put an end to it as quickly as possible.

I truly want to believe their is not a double standard, but when you see things like this, it really makes you wonder.

3 comments:

peacock805 said...

The only difference I can see is that McAmmond got knocked the eff out and Kimmo sacked up and played the game. But the penalty should not be about the injury but about the hit.

Jon1BSP said...

I think the fact that Downie looked completely out of control affected the call. He flew through the air like a maniac after he hit 'em.

gump said...

while I do agree that the Flyers NEVER get a call, (except when Johnny LeClair scored through the side of the friggin net!!), this series is an absolute joke. Crosby's goal tonight was goalie interference....without a doubt. The difference? Crosby and Malken. The league wants them to go far. I'm sorry if I sound like sour grapes, but for as much as I love hockey, it gets hard to defend such a ham-and-egger organIzation such as the NHL.
Go Phils!!