Monday, April 13, 2009

Hard to Believe, Harry


I haven't had this bad a day in a long time. In the span of about a half hour, I realized I screwed something up to really upset a family member and then learned that our beloved Harry the K had passed away way too soon at the age of 73. Without a doubt, today was a rough one. I really had a hard time getting through the rest of the day.

I've seen it written in many places, but a baseball team really is like a family member. From the beginning of April through the beginning of October, they come into your living room on a nightly basis and as familiar as anything else in your home. As a life-long Phillie Phan, Harry has been in my life for 36 years and it's going to be awfully hard to say goodbye.

Harry celebrated all the good times (except for the 1980 World Series) with us and commiserated with us during the bad times. My fondest memory of Harry was listening to him right after Game 6 of the World Series. I was up at Rutgers and watched the game with my buddy, Gump. Like everyone else, we were completely devastated by the loss, but when we got to his car, he turned on the Phils radio station and Harry and Whitey did their best to make us feel better about the game. However, more importantly, they made us feel like we were back home watching with family. I also never forget all the times he sang "High Hopes" after big post season wins. (Unfortunately, we didn't see this scene enough over the years.)

Not only was Harry the voice of the Phils, but he was the face of the team. Players come and go, but Harry was a Phillie from 1971 until today. He will be sadly missed. The only comforting news today is that His Whiteness is no longer all alone up in the Great Big Press Box in the Sky.

RIP Harry.

6 comments:

st. joe's nick said...

Rest in peace, old friend.

You will truly be missed by millions of Phillies fans everywhere.

God rest your soul, Harry.

Anonymous said...

How great is it that he passed right where he made his bones. Sad day but we can assume he died with a smile on his face preparing to do what he loved which was call a baseball game. We should all be so lucky.

Outta Here.

sbotts said...

He will be missed... I always loved the "STRUCK HIM OUT!!!"

George said...

I hope this doesn't mean more of stinkin' Wheeler on TV.

gump said...

I totally agree with the "family member" comparison. Being the same age as you, Phan, or a few months older, Harry is THE only voice of the Phillies I know, and even though it hasn't been quite the same without "his whiteness", it was still comforting to hear Harry on the call. I quite possibly may have quoted Harry at least once a day in some capacity for the past 20 years, seriously. With a simple Great Grab, or Outta Here, and of course in my mind sounded just like him. I think it's not only that HE will be missed, but he represented a connection for a lot of us, along with Gene Hart, and Merril Reese to a lesser extent, to growing up, and that's what makes it...hard to believe.
And as for that Game 6 memory...remember that idiot came running out from the kitchen offering to buy drinks for everyone?? He's lucky he didn't find his ass floating in the Raritan!!
But I digress, I'm just glad Harry got to make the call for the 2008 World Champions of Baseball!!

Philly Phan said...

Gump, I certainly remember that muthaeffer!!!! I wanted to stab him in the eye with a dirty steak knife.