Monday, August 28, 2006

EAGLES LAND STALLWORTH


Five minutes after I ripped the Birds for not having enough skill players, I found out they traded for Stallworth. I'm not ecstatic about the deal, but Stallworth immediately makes them better. He's the type of serviceable wide receiver that can thrive in this offense. The Birds will now not be totally overmatched on the outside. Would I have rather them pick up Javon Walker, Lelie or Deion Branch? Absolutely, but Stallworth at least shows me that the front office is not totally blind.

The one thing that does irk me a bit - besides his wonky hamstrings - is that Stallworth is in the final year of his deal and guess who his agent is....that's right, Drew "Next Question" Rosenhaus. I just hope Stallworth doesn't set the world on fire and then leave via free agency because Banner and Co. don't want to pay him. (Although, I've been a Philly Phan for too long to not realize this is a very real possibility.)

Another plus to this deal is that the Birds rid themselves of the underachieving Mark Simoneau. Good riddance. I still have visions of him bouncing off DeShaun Foster twice on the same touchdown run in the 2003 NFCG. Not to pat myself on the back, but earlier this preseason I predicted that he would not make this team. I love it when I'm right.

Now, if only the Birds can find a big back to pair up with Westbrook, then I might get excited about this team again.

2 comments:

George said...

Too many Eagles/football posts.

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, Nick. I always tell him that he's in the minority...not just here, but around the nation. I think he understands it, but wishes he lived back in 1950 when baseball was king. That's ok. I still think he's the man.