Monday, August 28, 2006

Losing Their Religion



Big Red used to be a darling of the national media. He used to receive accolades from guys like “Boomer”, “Mort”, Len Pasquarelli and Peter King. These guys even regularly included the Eagles with the Pats and Steelers as organizations that do things the “right way”. However, from some of the columns I’ve read and interviews I’ve heard recently, it certainly appears that Fat Andy is starting to lose some of his popularity.

In his Monday Morning Quarterback column today, Peter King reported his findings from a summer of touring the National Football League training camps, and led his article off with the following regarding our Birds:

EAGLES (Bethlehem, Pa.): Here's what worries me about the Eagles: skill players. I have no idea if running back Brian Westbrook can stay healthy for a full year, and a trusted reserve just isn't here. Ryan Moats has fallen out of favor with the staff, Reno Mahe is just insurance, and how can you trust Correll Buckhalter after two straight knee surgeries? And the receivers? When everyone's raving about Hank Baskett, I know there's trouble on the horizon. Now, I like the depth on the offensive and defensive lines a lot. The Eagles are going to be a load on defense -- maybe not as good as Dallas, but I bet as good as Washington. But that offense worries me. There's the same hole here that existed before T.O. Outside of Westbrook, there's not another Philly back or wideout who even remotely scares any defensive coordinators out there. "We'll be fine,'' Andy Reid told me and the rest of the free world about a hundred times. That's what he always says. And sometimes the Eagles aren't.
No one can argue this point. King is a respected football writer and he makes a simple, but outstanding point. What skill player on this team scares a defense? Pretty much no one, as King points out. I think that’s why I’m not overly excited about this team. I just can’t see how they are going to consistently move the ball and score points. In today’s NFL, you need a guy that can flat out take it to the house when he gets the ball in the open field. Unfortunately, the Birds’ offense needs about 2 or 3 more players of this nature before I will strongly consider them a contender again.

No comments: