Thursday, December 13, 2007

Do You Know Where You Will Be In 2019? Mike Richards Does


Today, the Flyers signed their leading scorer, Mike Richards, to a 12 year, $69 million contract extension. Yes, you read that right. Twelve years!!!

Frankly, I'm stunned. I've been as excited as anyone to see the improvement in Richards' all around game this season, but 12 years? Really? After a quarter season of improvement, we lavished a 12 year contract on a guy that had been projected to be a Mike Peca type shutdown center that could score 20 goals in a good season.

While it does seem a bit extreme to sign Richards for twelve years, I understand why it was done and how it makes sense financially. (We get financial certainty with a guy that even if he doesn't become an outstanding scorer, will be a team leader and major contributor for years to come.) I'm also thankful to know he's not going anywhere as I really enjoy watching him play, which is a good thing because he's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

After hearing about this contract, I had several thoughts go through my mind:

-How jealous is Joe Banner that he didn't come up with a salary cap favorable deal like this? Something tells me he's dialing up Broderick Bunkley's agent as you read this and offering him a 13 year extension.

-When this deal ends, I'll be Forty freakin' Seven years old. Yes, 47...and I'll be chasing around a 12 year old. Wow. Double wow. I'm getting old. My knees creak under my fat ass now. How am I going to hold up with an active 12 year old at 47? I better get in shape.

-People always complain that in today's day of free agency, trades, etc., it's tough to buy a jersey with a guy's name on it as you never know how long he's going to be on the team. However, I think after today's announcement, it's safe to go out and buy a Mike Richards jersey. He's going to be here for a while.

-This deal has major Pat Burrell albatross potential, but Richards could totally outperform his contract within two or three years and have buyers remorse like B West does right now.

No comments: