Monday, December 17, 2007

Stunner!


Every now and then a Philadelphia team will step up and pleasantly surprise you. Today, was one of those days. I think most of us expected Dallas to walk all over our Birds on their way to clinching home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. Even Wade Phillips dismissed the Birds’ chances earlier in the week. Well, somehow the Birds were able to ignore all this and showed up with their most prideful, physical performance of the season.

I must admit that I was totally pulling for Dallas to score points at the end of the game as I needed Nick Folk to help pull me out of a deficit in my opening round fantasy playoff game. One time in my life, I root for Dallas and those jerks couldn’t come up big for me as I fell two points short in my game. Lord, I hate Dallas.

Several story lines stand out for me. Let’s take a brief review of these points:

-I really doubt anyone is kidding themselves about today's win. This is not a playoff team. Offensively, this team is still a train wreck. McNabb short hopped a half dozen passes, the wide receivers left several plays on the field, and the line was not able to properly protect D Mac. All this being said, this was one of the best defensive performances by an Eagles team in the last couple years.....

However, it still seemed to me that much of our success was the result of Dallas being unable to execute as the result of Romo's injured thumb.


-Speaking of Tony Romo...He might want to think twice before bringing his celebrity girl friend to any future Eagles/Dallas games in Irving. After today’s horrible display by Romo, he’s 0-2 when he brings his latest chick to Eagles/Dallas games. Last year, he brought Carrie Underwood to the Christmas game and the ‘Boys sh*t the bed. Today, with Jess Simpson in the crowd, Romo once again had one of his worst performances as a pro. I think we’re seeing a trend there. Maybe this is Romo’s kryptonite.

By the way, Jessica really looked like shit. I’m guessing Nick Lachey and John Mayer took their toll on Ms. Simpson.

-If Tony Romo’s thumb is as bad as it looked in the second half, the Cowboys’ are effed. I spent an entire season watching Rutgers’ QB Mike Teel battle through a badly injured thumb and it was an adventure every time the ball left his hand. On any given pass play, you never knew which way the ball would float out to the receiver.

-As for D Mac's performance, he still misses way too many open throws by under throwing receivers. He just seems as though his mechanics have really taken a step backwards. It was a positive sign that he moved around pretty well and looked very effective running the ball. The throw to Schobel that almost damn near killed him (that guy will totally get fined) was actually a nice pass. The pass to Celek at the end of the game was one of his nicest of the season.

-I doubt Troy Aikman will be receiving any inside information from anyone inside the Eagles’ front office after he ripped our personnel at WR. He called Kevin Curtis a #3 or #4 and Reggie Brown a #3 or #4. I can’t disagree with him, but I’m sure Joe Banner and Tom Heckert aren’t all that ecstatic over their ability to effectively evaluate talent being called into question on national tv.

-The TD pass to Reggie Brown was a perfectly designed play by Big Red and Marty Morningwheg. When Andy says “I need to do a better job of putting my players in a position to make a play”, that is what he is referring to. Brown got open by sheer design of the play.

-Does anyone else hate Wade Phillips? He just has this look about him that he is a fan of the team and won some contest to be the honorary coach for a quarter. He just not impress me as the type of guy that is a leader of men. To the contrary, he looks like a star struck goober.

-What the eff was Quentin Mikael thinking when he brought the interception out of the end zone and then subsequently fumbled it back to the ‘Boys? That was a horrendous decision.

-Lito must have noticed something on film because he totally jumped that pass he picked. TO would have been open by 30 yards had that been a stop and go.

-The DT’s played pretty well. Both Bunkley and Patterson had sacks and Dallas only rushed the ball for 53 yards.

-I loved Romo’s comment that the Eagles don’t do a great job of hiding their blitzes. He looked kind of confused at times today.

-It was nice to see Max Jean Gilles get some time today. I really believe he’ll end up as a better guard than Todd Heremanns.

-Roy Williams is the NFL’s version of Claude Lemieux. He is a flat out dirty player.

-I’m thankful that Reno Mahe and JR Reed catch kicks and don’t turn over the ball, but will anyone ever have a big kick or punt return this decade?

-That last run by B West was shocking as it was smart. I can’t believe he would give up a TD to run out the clock. I don’t think many players in today’s game would do that.

-In his post game press conference, McNabb looked totally worn out emotionally and mentally. The whole Pam Oliver mess (in case you missed it, she mentioned during the game that D Mac believes that his days in Philly are numbered as the front office is distancing themselves from him) ensures that the last few weeks will surely be entertaining off the field even if they aren’t on the field.

-Andy Reid sure was spirited in his post game press conference calling out Les Bowen of the Daily News. I wish he didn’t wait 9 years to show this kind of fire.

Overall, it’s a shame the Birds put forth an effort like today’s so late in the season. However, it was still nice to see the Birds beat the ‘Boys and watch their fans squirm in wonder as to whether their team is good enough to make a deep playoff run.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I believe there's only 3 of us who actually read this blog, (me, u and your wife who is contractually binded under the guise of marriage) I do feel this is your best work in many months!

When you combine an Eagles victory with a fantasy football flame out this is the result. I have a new theory, disaster when properly channeled = Terrific Reporting.

I'm a bit fired up myself, so here are my Holiday wishes for the Cowgirls.

1. I hope that Romo's thumb needs amputation. Let's see Tony 9 fingers pull chicks like that skank JS when he's selling life insurance to family members.

2. I hope TO's gerbel gets permanetly stuck in his ass or mouth so he can just go away. Two or three times you saw TO want absolutely nothing to do w/ catching the ball in the middle of the field.

3. I hope Roy Williams gets horse collared and misses a game. He's a dirty player who repeatedly does this. Couple problems with this wish. He's actually more of a detriment to the Boys when he's on the field so his injury cannot be a serious one. This guy is a poor mans Andre Waters. In order for him to get horse collared he'll need to actually catch an INT! Considering Sean Taylor has a better chance of making a pick from the grave I don't feel this one will come to fruition.

4. Bum Philips, oh we can't change this guy, continue to look as clueless as you are. Continue to let in inmates run the team. Continue to panic when you're down 4 pts and abandon running the ball. Do all this and some lowly wildcard team as a 10 pt dog will beat your ass in the playoffs.

5. Last one, I hope Julius Jones can continue to steal playing time from the obviously more effective "backup" RB. Thanks Jules, your sheer presence is a mystery to us all. If you look in a dictionary next to the phrase Addition by Subtraction appears your name.

6. One more, for Jessica, clean up a bit before you show yourself on National television. How about a little make up? Maybe something to fix your mouth? You look like a bulldog. I mean, nice console but the monitor needs work (thats an ultrasound joke, sorry forgot my audience) She's a butherface.

7. Jerry Jones, how about a little humble pie. That move, where you put yourself on the sidelines in the 4th qtr. is getting tired. I mean, stay up in the box, drink your mai tai's or whatever it is you do and count your blessings. You won a SB despite hiring Barry F'en Switzer. You're the luckiest man in the World.

8. For Jason Whitten and Demarcus Ware, have a safe trip to Hawaii. These two could be the best at their position in the NFC.

Jon1BSP said...

Troy Aikman had one good line. I forget where it was during the game. I think it was the Boys' next O possession after his 2nd pick.

He said, "Tony Romo is really showing how NOT to play in front of your girlfriend."

Or something to that effect. I laughed my ass off!

Philly Phan said...

Nick Lachey...you win comment of the year, no contest. Is this the Capt or did Vinny somehow discover how to use his computer?

Anonymous said...

You know who it is.

Anonymous said...

Well Hemma"Roy"d Williams was suspended for one game for his dirty, cheap tackel on Five. About time the league did something other than fine him.