Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Odds and Ends

-The Phils and Ryan Howard made it to arbitration today. Apparently, it lasted 4 hours and no decision was announced. It should come some time tomorrow. By the way, if you are looking for a pretty informative Phils' blog check out this one from Communist Post reporter Mike Rodano.

-Apparently, Jayson Stark thinks the Phils and Mets will have a bench clearer some time this year. I hope someone remembers to bring the foil.

-Today, my boy Muller asked me my thoughts on the John Stevens' decision to use Claude Giroux, Kimo Timonen and Danny Briere in the shootout (or the "gayout" as the posters on my favorite Flyers' message board like to call it). I actually liked the decision except that I'd probably have changed the order and put the gutless Briere first. He has the skill to do well on the shoot out, but no ball. I loved the decision to put Kimo in the mix even though he's a defenseman. Timonen looked pretty damn good during the All Star skills challenge and wondered why he never was used. Apparently, Stevens saw the same thing and gave Kimo a shot and he was rewarded with a successful attempt. I loved the decision to Giroux in the group. He has a ton of skill and showed more creativity with his attempt than I've seen from any Flyer since the shoot out was brought into the league. However, the real problem is that our goaltending is flat out brutal in the shootout. Last night, it looked like Biron never even practices stopping breakaways. It's amazing to me that we're three years into the shootout and the Flyers still look completely flumoxed by it.

-Gagne is done for the year with a concussion. This is a shame. The Orange and Black have really missed him this year. Has there been another team in any sport that has lost more man games to stud players with the same injury? I severyly doubt it.

-Out goes Vandemeer and in comes Modry- Over the last two days, the Flyers dealt away Jim Vandemeer to the Flames for a third round pick and brought back Jaroslav Modry of the Kings for a third round pick. I like Modry. He'll be a solid addition. It's a shame things didn't work out for Vandemeer here. I liked him during his first go round as a Flyer, but was a complete waste of space upon his return to Orange & Black.

-The Birds are out at the combine scouting prospects. I'm sure we'll hear a ton of rumors that the Birds' lackey, Dave Spadaro, will spend plenty of time shooting down. I've resigned myself to the fact that they'll draft an OT at the 19th pick who won't play for two years, so why get myself excited? As for my own interest, I'll be watching to see what my boy, Ray Rice of RU runs the 40 in. I'm really hoping he ends up with Seattle. Not sure why, other than the fact that they desperately need a RB, they have an above average offense and I kind of like their funky team colors.

5 comments:

Jon1BSP said...

Timmonen was the only one I agreed with. Briere's confidence can't be anywhere near where it needs to be.

And no matter how good the kid Giroux is, how much pressure had to be on him? It was his first game up!

What about Richards? Or Carter? Or even Kapanen? The shootout is no place to experiment.

Anonymous said...

Well it's official. Howard got the $10 million. I wonder how fast the Phillies will trade him now? :-p

Anonymous said...

Dude, "flumoxed"? Who you trying to impress?

Anonymous said...

sounds like a dessert. yummy

Jon1BSP said...

The actual transcripts from the Howard arbitration are posted here. Good stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080221&sportCat=mlb