Monday, May 19, 2008

An Absolute Must Read


Came across this great article on SI.com on Philly's long, long, long title-less droughts and the all time low moments during this stretch.
Since we seem to be every writer's favorite punching bag, I love it when someone in the national media finally sticks up for us. This list should be required reading before a national columnist rips us. My buddy Farrell can never understand why I'm such a negative phan. Read this list Farrell and you'll understand. I think you'll agree that 100 title-less seasons kind of takes the warm and fuzzy positivity out of the equation as a sports phan.

There are a ton of low lights on this list and it pretty much explains why I'm such a negative phan. However, these moments are remedial - Philly Sports Moments 101. If you don't remember all of these moments and can't describe them vividly, you're not a true Philly phan.

Anyhow, I unequivocally agree with the moment he ranked as the all time worst. (The 2002 NFC title game loss to the Bucs) . I have never felt worse after a sporting event...(wait, that's not entirely true. I did feel worse when RU lost the Big East Championship and an Orange Bowl bid two years ago to West Virginia. In any event, it is the worst I've ever felt after a Philly loss.) I really thought my buddy the Captain was about to go postal. I worried about him that night. As a phan, I'm not sure I've ever fully recovered from that game. I will never completely turn my heart over to a Philly team. Until we win a title, I will always expect the other shoe to drop and the worst to occur. The Bucs stole our Super Bowl. That was our year. Everything was set up perfectly, until Blaine Bishop blew out his groin musle trying to cover Joe Jurevicius on a 3rd and 2 that turned into a game changing 71 yard pass play.

The only thing I'd add in here are moments when we passed up more talented players in the draft for the stink bombs we've taken (Mike Mamula over Warren Sapp, Freddie Mitchell over Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson; and Larry Hughes over Dirk Nowitzki) or bad coaching hires (Cholly Manuel over Jim Leyland and Rich Kotite over Jeff Fischer).

Actually, I'm starting to revel in our losing ways. I suppose it is kind of uplifting that we keep coming back over and over, despite years and years of being knocked down. However, on the other hand, our willingness to keep supporting our teams could show that we have something wrong mentally. The most famous Philadelphian of them all, Ben Franklin, did say:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
Maybe good ol' Ben was on to something. I did spend the good portion of the night watching Brett Myers and expected him to pitch better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The worst loss off all time. worse than Rock's KO loss to Clubber Lang in 3.

1. 2002 NFC Championship Game | Jan. 19, 2003

The blindside factor makes the NFC title game between the Eagles and the Bucs the choice as the definitive Philly sports tragedy of the drought era. The idea of losing to Tampa Bay in the final game in Veterans Stadium history was unthinkable. Consider these facts:

* In the three most recent meetings between the teams -- including wild-card showdowns in 2000 and 2001 -- the Eagles had outscored the Bucs by a 72-22 margin.

* The Bucs entered the game 1-21 all-time when the temperature was under 40 degrees (with the lone win coming in Week 17 against the hapless Bears). The gametime temperature in South Philadelphia: 22 degrees and windy.

* Tampa Bay had never won a road playoff game in franchise history.

When Brian Mitchell returned the opening kickoff 70 yards -- followed by Duce Staley's touchdown in the first minute -- victory seemed a foregone conclusion. Alas, the Eagles lost the game, 27-10. After sucking the energy out of the Vet with two lengthy touchdown drives during the first half, Bucs cornerback Ronde Barber's sealed the outcome with a 92-yard interception with 3:12 left. It sent 66,713 salty fans to the aisles, an appropriate tribute to a building which provided the stage for 33 years of disappointment and heartbreak.