Thursday, November 15, 2007

The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same


While the jerseys are different and most of the players are different, we learned this evening that there is still one carry over from last year's Flyers. They still suck in the shootout.

For those who might have missed it, the Flyers lost to the Rangers this evening in a shootout after once again failing to convert on all three of their shootout chances. Last year, the Flyers converted two...YES, TWO!....shootout chances all season. Talk about putting pressure on your goalie! They basically know that if they let a single shot in, the Orange and Black are cooked.

I'm still amazed that the Flyers have not identified one guy that they could store away on the 4th line that has better than average skill on the shootout. It is shocking how many points they throw away by bowing out meekly in each and every shootout.

For what it's worth, I absolutely can't stand the shootout. To me, it is akin to using a three point shootout or field goal kicking contest to settle a tied basketball or football game. While perusing Hockeybuzz.com yesterday, I came across a tie breaking system that I do agree with. Let me know what you think:

After a 5 minute overtime, the two teams would then alternate 1 minute power plays. It makes all the sense in the world. If the visiting team scores, the home team has to score, and has the option of pulling their goalie if they want to. (a little home ice advantage)

I believe the intensity of those power plays, the crowd roaring as the puck is cleared, etc., would be FAR more intense than the current shootout. Plus this is a team way of solving ties...

Also should a team score shorthanded, that could automatically end it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty damn good idea. I think this approach is much more fair than the shootout, which I hate as well. As soon as this game went to a shootout I knew our goose was cooked.

Jon1BSP said...

Definitely not a bad idea. I always liked those 20-overtime games myself, so I wouldn't mind seeing overtime after overtime.

Or two overtimes and then it's just tied and done with.

Anonymous said...

i must admit i watched my first OT and shootout in about 15 years and i was disappointed. 4-4 hockey in OT was pretty cool, but the shoot out thing was a let down. They should play music or lower the lights. It doesn't count as both teams get a point anyways, so make it like mid-nite bowling. Maybe a stobe light show, or those cool smoke machines.

George said...

I hate the shootout, but the power plays would require the entire ice to be resurfaced and that would take too long. Just play the 4 on
4, eliminate the shootout, and call it a tie if nobody scores.

Anonymous said...

now that was a beat down last evening at the hands of the Devils. i'm done w/ hockey for another 15 years. Thats fly guys.