Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Virtual Cornucopia of Philly Sports Issues!


Finally, I have found a bright side to my slacking on this blog as of late....

Since I've been taking my own sweet time getting around to writing, a ton of issues have compiled that I want to comment upon. So, I'll try to take these issues on in a PTI style format:

1. Phils trade for Brad Lidge - I'm not sure whether to get excited about this one or not. I've been burned by getting overly excited by the Freddy Garcia, Kevin Millwood and Billy Wagner trades over the last 5 years. So, I'll with hold my judgment at this time.


I liked Lidge a couple years ago before giving up a walk off moon shot by Albert Pujols in the NLCS. It seemed like he hasn't been right since, even losing the closer's job early last year with the 'Stros before regaining it later in the year. However, his stats last year (.218 batting average against, 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings, 3.36 ERA) were ok. I just worry about this guy's psyche. If he had a hard time closing in Houston over the last couple years, then how's he going to survive here?

This trade also means that the Wife Beater is coming back to the starting rotation, which is probably where he fits best on this team. Ruben Amaro commented that Myers is "his No. 2 starter behind Cole Hamels or possibly even a 1A."

By giving up Bourn in the deal, it seems to signal that the Phils are going to try and re-sign Rowand or bring in a cheaper alternative to platoon in one of the outfield spots. (Knowing the Phils, the latter is more likely.)

2. Flyers finally beat the Pens' and Sid the Kid - After tonight's 3-1 win by the Fly Guys, I'm finally starting to believe in the new incarnation of your Philadelphia Flyers. The young guys (Carter, Richards and Lupul) scored again, the faster, more savvy defense shut down Sid the Kid, Malkin, and Co, and Biron turned in another professional goal tending performance. Plus, this team is pretty much winning without much of a contribution from Briere, Gagne and Knuble.

After watching the early part of the season, I'm starting to wonder if there is a hockey equivalent of HGH? If so, then Randy Jones needs to be tested because he might be on something. He appears to be a totally different player this year.

The only downside of the night was when I turned on the post game show and saw Chris Therien's goofy mug. Chris, please, I beg you. Just go somewhere and leave us Flyers phans alone! You tormented us enough as a I player. Seriously, you don't need to continue annoying us as a post game show host, especially since you have a hard time putting together a coherent thought.

3. Sean Considine out for the year - In the span of one hour this evening, I received emails from four people alerting me to the news that Considine was out for the year. Not surprisingly, all four had the same sentiment: This is a blessing.


I have to agree. Considine is just not NFL starter quality. He might know the defense and is usually in the right spots, but he never makes a play on the ball. He's always close to making a play, but never does. Kind of similar to Mike Mamula, huh?

Anyhow, Considine is clearly not carrying to torch of the above average Caucasian safeties the Birds have had over the years. Somewhere, Terry Hoage, Rich Miano, Tim Hauck and Mike Zordich were shaking their heads in disgust watching Considine Sunday evening.

4. Sixers win: Does anyone care? - The Sixers beat the lowly Bobcats this evening and I watched less than a minute of the action. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. The Sixers had 9,317 in the house tonight. However, it appeared that many of the attendees were dressed as empty seats…Is this thing on?

I still have yet to receive a single comment on this blog about the Sixers. I know the Captain is a closet phan, but for some reason he doesn't share his love of the Sixers here.

5. The Big E to retire - My first thought when I heard this news was whether Eric received permission from his parents to make such an announcement.

In all seriousness, Eric Lindros is still my favorite all time Flyer. I have looked forward more to a single Flyer taking the ice for his shift. Almost anything could happen when he was playing. Nothing ever surprised me with him. He could score a finesse goal or deliver the perfect pass. He could hold his own against some of the best fighters in the league. He could absolutely destroy people with body checks as well. At times, he seemed too big, too strong and too skilled for the rest of the league to handle. He was the NHL's answer to Shaq.

Unfortunately, he could also end up injured at almost any point in a game. Plus, the Big E always suffered injuries that seemed to keep him off the ice for weeks at a time. Lindros never suffered a day to day injury. That was the real shame with 88. Had he stayed healthy, I'm sure this franchise eventually would have won a title, but it wasn't meant to be.

(Here's a pretty decent article about Eric from a Flyers phan's perspective. Enjoy.)

In a related story, I think the Flyers’ team doctor better put his malpractice carrier on notice because I think the Flyers are allowing Simon Gagne to play with the lingering affects of his concussion. Did anyone see his comments about Lindros? He must still be woozy and forgot Clarkie and Mr. Snider’s edict that no one mention Lindros for the remainder of man kind. Seriously though, these are by far the most pleasant public comments I can remember from any member of the Flyers or-gun-I-zat-SHUN since the guy was traded to the Rangers.

On a similar note, you might want to take that vacation you’ve been putting off because based upon the following comments from Clarkie, I think the world is about to end:

"I believe [Lindros] should be in [the Hall of Hame]. This was the first big, powerful, dominant forward with the skill, not (Wayne) Gretzky or (Mario) Lemieux, but close."

6. Phils starting offseason plans: no third base and looking to the Far East for pitching help - I hope you are ready for another year of Greg Dobbs and the Wes "The Butcher" Helms at third base because Gillick says he's not doing anything to improve the position.

Additionally, the Phils' must have really enjoyed the Tad Iguchi experiment because they are now looking to pick up a Japanese starting pitcher. (Not sure if tonight's trade puts the kibosh on that move though. I'm guessing it will.)

7. Daily News’ Eagles Report Card - I was going to do one of my own, but would rather just link to this one. (Is it me or does Les Bowen seem awfully bitter in this article?) I generally agree with all the grades except that I would give the coaching staff an F- and an F- to the front office, as well.

8. Rutgers Reeling - I’m still not ready to talk about how this season has turned out after going 1-4 over the past five weeks. Sure, they can get to a decent bowl by winning their last 3 (a decent possibility), but this program has more than lost the buzz it had coming off last year. They need to win these last three and salvage some credibility so one calls them a one year wonder.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my ADD kicked in once you got to the Flyers story.

I liked the CF we just pissed away for a closer coming off knee surgery and a medicore record. BUT, we did the deal w/ Ed Wade who we all know if incompitent, so how bad of a deal could it be.

Anonymous said...

Snaxxx

#5 is a joke . . The only way he gets to the hall of fame is with a ticket.

How many time do we have to hear He could of been a great one?

Remember who we gave up to get him . . . not worth it!!!!

Anonymous said...

refresh my memory, who did we give up to get him?

George said...

Yesterday the Inquirer had some great hilarious quotes from the past about the situation with Lindros' parents. I personally was never a fan of the guy.

I think that since both of your football teams are dead you should focus on mostly Flyers posts from here on out. This site doesn't have enough hockey. The hockey posts spur me, Muller and Alex as well as those who feel that they must insult the game because their attention span can't focus past a play that is over in three to five seconds.

Unknown said...

Nice to have you back, Philly Phan. You're right, no one cares about the Sixers. I agree with "anonymous." #5 is a joke at this point. Did you see how many balls he either over or under threw on Sunday night? Also, does he think his receivers are laying on the field waiting for the ball? He must in light of all the balls he grounded! He is ridiculous!