Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Broad Street Bully


After today's performance, you can now add Jeff Francis to the long line of athletes who have come into Philly and stolen our lunch money in a big playoff spot. You can him to the list of Paul Molitor, Ricky Manning, Jr., Rhonde Barber, Simeon Rice, Scott Stevens, Martin Brodeur, Kobe Bryant, and Magic Johnson. (If you take out Ricky Manning, Jr., that's a pretty illustrious list, huh?)
I didn't get to watch a single pitch of the game (thanks TBS!), but from what I heard on the radio, Francis pitched a masterful game. It's not everyday, you get the Phils' top 4 batters to go hitless over 15 at bats with 9 strikeouts. You have to take your cap off to the guy.

Obviously, tomorrow is a must win and the bats must come alive. It's been some time since the Phils have had one of those 8 to 12 run explosions that we've seen so many times this season. Tomorrow would be a perfect time to unleash one and help Kyle Kendrick get comfortable in the biggest game of his life. I fully expect J Roll, Utley and Howard to reverse their performances tomorrow and come up big. Let's just hope Kendrick holds up his end of the bargain.

In any event, am I the only one that forgot how stressful post season baseball can be? I was totally bummed by the loss. I spent the rest of the night in a fog. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

(By the way, before anyone busts my balls about the headline, I realize that CBP is not on Broad Street, but it's close enough to suit my interests.)

1 comment:

st. joe's nick said...

Rollins, Utley, and Howard came up tiny in yesterday's game. If these guys were even 50% of what they normally do yesterday, we could have won that game.

Still, it's a 5 game series. I'm not giving up yet. Go Phils!