Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Playing With House Money


If I'm Cholly Manuel, that's what I'm writing on the chalk board before this team runs out on the field Wednesday. There is no reason for this team to be thinking any different.

The way this team celebrated on Sunday, I think it's safe to assume that this team reached its ultimate goal....making the postseason. Despite what they said, it sure seemed that anything past a playoff appearance will be gravy.

This team should play loose as loose can be. What do they have to lose? This season is already a raging success. This season reminds a little of the playoff run of the Eagles led by Jeff Garcia. Everyone wrote the team off and when they won the division and won a playoff game, it was such a wonderful unexpected gift. I feel pretty much the same way with the Phils this year. Whatever they provide going forward will truly be a surprise to me.

I don't know about you guys, but I go into the postseason with no expectations and neither should you. We've bitched, complained, and bitched some more about their inability to make the postseason. Well, they've finally made it.

So I say, Just enjoy the ride people. We don't have the luxury of experiencing post season baseball all that often.

(As I write this, two chuckleheads picked the Phils to reach the World Series....maybe I'm wrong. I suppose there are some expectations.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rest of the NL has little playoff experience as well. we're a veteran team and are favored in Vegas to make the series. expectations are high and nothing short of an NLCS appearance is a disappointment.

st. joe's nick said...

Go Phils!

I have to agree, Phan. Whatever happens to this team in the postseason is just gravy on top of a great late-season comeback.