Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I Think We've Found Our New Manager


As I'm sure you've all seen, Arthur Rhodes had some pretty harsh comments in response to Cory Lidle's press conference in New York on Monday. Lidle claimed that "[o]ver the last few years, I haven’t had a clubhouse that expected to win with me. On days I was pitching, it was almost a coin flip as to whether the guys behind me were going to be there to play 100 percent." Over the last few years, the dogs that have occupied the Phils clubhouse likely would have stuck their heads in the sand and not responded.

However, disappointing setup man stepped up to the plate and ripped Lidle. I have to admit, I absolutely loved his response. Rhodes stated that Lidle does not "have a work ethic. After every start, he didn't run or lift weights. He would sit in the clubhouse and eat ice cream." He further stated "[w]hen he pitched, we busted our tails for him. When he started, he would go 51/3 innings and (the bullpen) would have to win the game for him. The only thing Cory Lidle wants to do is fly around in his airplane and gamble."

This is the kind of fire we need from our manager. Since Rhodes obviously can't pitch anymore, why don't we put Uncle Cholly out of his misery and bring in a prick like this guy who may be able to light a fire under the Phils. If he has anymore quotes like these in him, it should make for an interesting club house environment and must see t.v. post game press conferences.

I really could care less about whether he understands when to make a double switch or how to handle a pitching staff. Of course, I'm being a bit tongue in cheek, but a change in atmosphere may be what is needed down at the "Money Pit".

1 comment:

George said...

While it is neat that Rhodes blasted Lidle, maybe he should first worry about getting his ERA under 6.00.