Sunday, August 06, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up


E-A-G-L-E-S are back, and running the ball?!? - The offensive line and Westbrook looked to be clicking pretty well. I love the fact that Reid's running the ball, but am I the only one in the Delaware Valley that holds his breath every time I see Westbrook carry the ball in traffic? I would feel much better about this team if we had a sturdy back to compliment B West. Unfortunately, such an acquisition, or one for another wide receiver, doesn't appear to be in the cards. As always, the Birds are trying to prove everyone wrong again and they can win with guys like Greg Lewis, Pinky, Gaffney, Mahe and Tapeh.

In their short amount of playing time, the first team defensive line looked pretty decent as well. I can't wait to see Bunkley get out there and see what he adds to the rotation. Surprisingly, Matt McCoy looked much improved at weakside linebacker. I'd feel a whole lot better if Dhani never saw the field, but I guess we're kind of stuck with him this year.

Like many other Eagle fans, Reno Mahe is a complete mystery to me. I've never seen a less athletic looking guy make plays in the NFL. Finally, lets hope the Bruce Perry injury is not too serious. I really want to see this local kid do well.

The re-signing of B-Dawk was probably the best news of the night. He truly deserves to retire an Eagle.

By the way, nice new uni's , refs. Seriously, what in the world provoked that change? To me this change is totally pointless.

Utley's streak over - It's a shame that the streak had to end as it kept me semi-interested in the Phils over the last few weeks, but if the streak was still in tact it would have made my television viewing decisions on Sunday even more difficult. With the Birds pre-season opener and Entourage airing Sunday night, I already had enough to watch. If Chase was still chasing Joe D, I would have been a nervous mess wondering what I could possibly miss.

As an aside, I read that the Mets fans took a ton of satisfaction out of ending Utley's streak. Once again, New Yawkers show that they are as classless as we are, but for some reason they rarely get called out on the carpet for their behavior.

Bunkley Signs - As I told my buddies during Happy Hour at McGillin’s a couple weeks ago, I have a lot of theories. One of them is that if you do not look like a guy that I would be petrified to either be locked up with or have to ride the same PATCO train late at night, then I don’t want you playing on my team’s front seven. Take a look at this picture of Eagles’ first round pick Broderick Bunkley:



Enough said. This guy is flat out frightening to look at. He HAS to be a player. I really think he will add something to the defensive line this year. A defensive tackle rotation of Mike Patterson, Bunkley, Darwin Walker, and Sam Rayburn should be a huge improvement over the dreck that they threw out there last season.

Anyhow, to test my hypothesis further, take a look at this guy that starts at outside linebacker for the Birds:



He does not scare me in the least. He looks more like the kind of guy that is selling my sister in law illegal drugs in Key West, than a guy that should be starting for a NFL football team. Since we all know he can’t play, I think my theory holds some water.

Primeau still not ready - The Winner of the Master of the Obvious Award for the weekend goes to Ray Parillo of the Inquirer for reporting that Primeau is still suffering from concussion like symptoms and does not appear that he’ll be ready for the start of training camp. As I opined here some time ago, it is time for Primeau to stop holding this team hostage. It is now beyond ridiculous. The team is about three weeks from starting training camp and Primeau still can’t skate heavily. It’s time for him to call it career and save his dignity. Plus, it would really help the team to shed his salary so it can re-sign Gagne and give it trade flexibility to pick up another defenseman.

Handzus Traded - On Friday, the Flyers dealt Zoooooos and his hair to the Black Hawks for 26 goal scorer, Kyle Calder. I'm sure this will shock my boy George, but I love the trade. We got rid of a guy who was very solid in the "Old NHL", but looked horribly overmatched in the speed based "New NHL". Calder supposedly meshed well with Jeff Carter in last Spring's World Championships and can put the puck in the net. Plus, he has good speed, can pass the puck and can kill penalties. Those guys don't grow on trees, folks. Hopefully, his success will carry over now that Calder will be in Orange and Black and likely playing on a line with Carter and Umberger.

Lieber stinks, Burrell Gutless - I missed the game on Saturday since I was golfing up in the Land Of Cheese, but my buddy The Captain reports that Lieber blew the game by throwing a ball into right field and Burrell looked like a deer in the headlights during a crucial at bat in the 9th. Wasn't it only a year or two ago that Burrell owned the Mets? As the Captain told me, "it seems like Burrell hasn't been the same since we graduated High School back in the late 80's." That may be a humorous exaggeration, but I'll keep shouting it until the cows come home....Burrell needs to go.

Sixers for Sale - The report from last Sunday's Boston Globe seems to be picking up steam. One potential buyer that has surfaced this past week is former New Jersey political power broker, Charles Kushner. Not only did he attempt to buy the Nets in 2004, but he helped disgraced former New Jersey Governor, Jim McGreevey, rise to prominence. Plus, he is currently in the pokey serving an 18 month sentence for tax evasion. What a guy. Of course, this is who will buy the team and the Sixers will constantly be under the microscope to make sure they aren’t trying to circumvent the salary cap. On the bright side, if Kushner buys the team, he and AI can share stories about their time in the clink.

Entourage - Thankfully, a good friggin' episode. The angle with Johnny Drama and the Masseuse and E and Seth Green were flat out classic. The fight at the end was even better...Thank you, Doug Ellin. I was starting to think you were taking writing tips from David Chase.

The Land of Cheese - The Philly Sports Wife and I had a great time in the Land of Cheese (aka Wisconsin) with my good buddy Matt, his wife and their three children. My buddy lives in Wausau, WI which is not in the middle of the netherlands like I originally thought. His area reminded me of Gloucester County, NJ. The weather out there for this time of year was absolutely gorgeous, 80 degrees with sunny skies and low humidity. (I truly can’t stand the humidity around here during the month of August.) I played some golf with his work buddies and had some surprising success. Plus, the people out there were super nice, although there were an inordinate amount of cute blondes with horrible tattoos. Overall, it was a fun weekend.

No comments: