Sunday, August 27, 2006

Weekend Wrap Up "WWU"


This was another busy weekend for yours truly. Unfortunately, there wasn't many interesting stories to come out of my weekend travels. So, for once I'll try to stick to the local sports scene.

"Invinceable" #1 at the Box Office - This is great news for the City of Philadelphia. It's great to see a movie made here in Philly about one of our own (Vince Papale - pictured above with Mark Wahlberg) reach the top spot. You would have seen a review of the movie here, but my wife wanted to stay in and watch the Emmy's instead. (She really needs to get her priorites in line, huh?) I plan on going Monday night, so hopefully my review of the movie will be in this space any day now.

Phils pick up Jeff Conine from the O's for cash and a player to be named later - Nice pickup here by the Phils. It's just four years too late. If Ed Wade wasn't so incompetent, he would have picked up Conine back in 2003 and we would two postseason appearances in 20 years as the Marlins picked him up at the deadline and he absolutely killed the Phils during their battle for the Wild Card.

Eagles beat Steelers in Pre Season Action - I'll be the first to admit that I haven't really turned up the passion for the Birds during this preseason. It could be because of the surprising run by the Phils for the Wild Card spot, or it could be because I'm not sure what to expect out of this team just yet. I still have them at 8-8 for the season, but I can be easily swayed after watching the first game or two. I'm getting the same feel from most of the fan base, as well as the local and national media. The one stat that does have me a bit excited is that the first team defense has given up only three points in the 18 preseason series that they have been on the field.

Entourage Season Finale - How would you feel if I told you that the season finale was just "ok". Is that something you'd be intersted in? Didn't think so. They added an interesting plot twist by firing Ari (sorry for the spoiler), but I have the distinct feeling that this season went absolutely no where. I guess they did set up the first three episodes, which the Piv said would start at the same time as the final season of the Sopranos, as Ari will be fighting to get Vince back as a client.



Deion Branch seeks a trade; Could Phillly be his landing spot??? - Sorry guys, it's not happening. I just can't see it. Sure it makes a ton of sense and I think Big Red and the Boys would love to have him, but if this guy already turned down $6 million/year from the Pats, then he ain't coming here because Banner won't let anyone take that big a chunk out of his beloved cap space who isn't named McNabb.

Matt Kenseth Wins Sharpie 500 -There was a time when the Bristol night race was must see T.V. Now that it is three races from the Chase everyone drives way too cautious as no one wants to cause someone to get knocked out of the playoffs. This race is now way too P.C. As fun as The Chase for the Cup is, I hope Nascar realizes that they have ruined one of the best races of the year.

1 comment:

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, dude! I was skeptical about Wahlberg playing a Philly guy, but I've heard he does a great job. Kinnear looks to be cast perfectly as Vermeil. Can't wait to see it. Plus a friend of mine knows so much about Papale because he was a track guy at St. Joe's Univ. also.