Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Philadelphia Sybils


I truly don't understand this team. They started the year cold as ice. Then they go on an absolute horrid tear through the month of May to put them in contention for the division lead and get the locals all fired up for the summer ahead. Then the team wilts in the summer heat while getting zero pitching and in the process falls 10+ games behind the Mets through the next two months. Then to everyone's surprise, after getting rid of a couple of underachieving veterans at the trade deadline, a young scrappy bunch of Phils start to play well enough to get themselves on the outskirts of the Wild Card chase. I truly don't know what to think.

What are we to do??? Do we latch onto these guys and hope they make a final run for the post season or do we skip the rest of the baseball season knowing the inevitable fate of this squad and wait for pitchers and catchers to report next winter? Normally, I'd say the latter, but I really like how this team is playing now that the morose group of Abreu, Bell, Lieby and Burrells of the team are being phased out by hungry, competitive guys like Utley, Howard, Hamels, J Roll and Delucci.

As I write this post, the Phils are again pounding the Mets for a second straight night. The only thing that can derail this express ride towards the front of the wild card standings is an appearance by yours truly at CBP. Well, I hate to ruin the fun, but I'll be at the park the next two nights to watch our beloved Phils take on the Mets and their scumbag fans behind the pitching of studs such as Lieber and Mathieson.

Something tells me the last two nights will be tough to replicate with these two pitching. But all is not lost. At least on Thursday, I'll be in the Hall of Fame Club hidden away from the New Yawkahs and enjoying the last BPS of the year. Nothing is better than a cold beer on a warm day, while playing hookey from work....(don't worry fellow employees, I did take a half vacation day. I don't want anyone reporting me to human resources!)

No comments: