Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Sighting!!!


When my evening commute home was unceremoniously interrupted by a service suspension due to a fire at the City Hall Camden PATCO stop, I decided to walk down to the Gallery to kill some time before the Philly Sports Wife could come pick me up. After walking around a bit, I stopped into a Modell's to pick up a Live Strong bracelet. While standing in the check out line, I noticed a tall athletic black dude standing in front of me buying a couple of ankle braces of some sort. I then got a closer look at the guy and thought...hmm....could that be Philly Native and current LA Clipper, Cuttino Mobley???

Then a store clerk went up to the guy, asked for an autograph and confirmed that it was indeed the NBA journeyman guard. (Speaking of which, when the hell did he get traded to the Clippers??? I really don't follow the NBA that much anymore, I suppose.) I then sort of stalked the guy through the mall and down to 8th and Market to wait for my wife to pick me up. At that point, I realized I must be a deranged sports fan because I was the only other person besides the store clerk and a few baby's mommas to notice the guy.

After witnessing Mobley's appearance in this Modell's, I'm pretty much dumbfounded and left with several questions:

1. Is this the first multimillionaire in recent history to risk shopping in the Gallery? If not, then he's certainly the only guy ever to have his home showcased on MTV's Cribs and eventually set foot in the Gallery.
2. Shouldn't he be back in So Cal getting ready for the season?
3. Who would leave So Cal to come to Philly for the month of August???
4. Does a guy with that type of coin carry a piece out of fear of being jacked by one of the locals who may notice him? (Christ, I was afraid to use the public john for the fear of being jacked and I make 1/100 of what he makes a year.)
5. Doesn't he have a posse member (ie., his version of Turtle) to pick up ankle braces?
6. How much in child support does he have pay to the baby's momma for the child that he was hanging with?
7. Where in our fair city would he park his tricked out luxury S.U.V.?

I could go on forever with questions like these, but I'll stop here. I think this sighting ranks pretty low on the excitement scale as even my brother in law didn't raise an eyebrow when I sent him a text announcing my sighting. For some reason, I just thought it was pretty freakin' interesting to run into a 8 year NBA veteran with more money than God, shopping in the Modell's at the Gallery.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the question to number 6 was way too funny

Philly Phan said...

Thanks, bro...I'm kind of partial to the one about me being afraid to hit the John...that was a true story...I felt like Karen Hill when she went to meet Jimmy Conway to look at the dresses and then turned around for fear of her life