Friday, August 11, 2006

The Legend Begins....


I never thought a single reception in a preseason game could cause such a stir amongts the populace, but Hank Baskett's 33 yard First Quarter reception in last night's preseason game has further increased the "buzz" around the rookie free agent wide receiver from New Mexico. I have to admit, I'm one decent game from jumping on this guy's bandwagon with everyone else in the Delaware Valley.

As we are all painfully aware, the Birds' fan base, and probably the team itself, desperately wants a receiver to step up and be "The Man". Well, Baskett might not be #1 wide receiver in this league, but he appears to be the type of guy you can win with. So far, it doesn't appear as though he has the speed to get as much separation from DB's as you would like, but he has the size and leaping ability to get open and be a perfect #2 in this league. He also appears to have already developed a rapore with McNabb, which certainly does not hurt his chances of getting on the field.

I still want to get to the bottom of why this guy wasn't drafted. There must have been a C-O-N spiracy going on because this guy sure looks more advanced than a majority of receivers I've seen this team draft in the last decade. (Do the names Billy McMullen, Na Brown, and Gari Scott ring a bell?)

As my main man Johnny Gold pointed out, I wouldn't be shocked if some knucklehead in my fantasy league (likely the Captain) picks him in the 4th round of our draft.

Again, I realize that this guy could be a mirage. His lack of speed could be exploited once the regular season starts and teams begin to game plan against our offense. However, I'm going to go on record and say that this guy will be an integral part on this team's offense. Who knows, he might even make the All-Rookie team.

I better watch it. I'm starting to sound positive. If I keep this nonsense up, someone may revoke my title of "Philly Sports Phan".

3 comments:

George said...

Yes, Philly Phan has joined the rest of the media and fans in the annual ritual of putting a decent Eagles preseason performer in the Hall of Fame already. I know you said you were skeptical, but your underlying premature excitement is obvious.

I know you will blast me as a non-football person in response, but all good writers must take some criticism and all good websites should have some conflicting opinions and dialogue. This time can you at least thank me for reading before you do the blasting?

Philly Phan said...

yes...I agree...we need controversy. Controversy is good.

Philly Phan said...

One other thing...You are just as in love w/ Chris Coste, a 33 year old career minor leaguer. Who has more of a shot of making it? A WR w/ NFL measurables that was a really good college player or a guy that will be driving a beer truck in 18 months?