Sunday, March 30, 2008

Phillies 2008: A Return To Normalcy

I know everyone is getting all ramped up about the Phils this year and expecting a playoff berth, but sorry gang. I don't see it. Sure this team will score a shit load of runs, but this pitching staff has the potential to be down right brutal if Myers and Hamels spend any time on the DL, which is pretty likely considering their injury history. Plus, I have a feeling the Lidge knee injury will linger for a good part of the season.

I don't like the Phils' staff compared to those of the Mets, Braves and any team in the West that they'd compete with for a Wild Card spot. I also think this team lost something when the let Rowand go. Not in terms of his glove or bat as I think the combined additions of Jenkins and Feliz will more than compensate for his numbers, but I think they are going to have a huge void in terms of leadership and getting the guys to be accountable and show up every day.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but history tells me I won't be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as they're losing 11-6 thanks to Mr. Gordone. They will not lack leadership or Rowand. he had a career year that he'll never approach again. Of course the pitching staff is a concern as it is for every club in baseball.

The knee for Lidge will be fine. `1-3 startes are fine, we'll need Kendrick to continue to grow. Eaton is what he is. 8-12. Romero will end up pitching the 8th inning. w/ Flash Madson in 6-7.

Anonymous said...

I disagree that the 1-3 starters are fine. Ok, Myers didn't have the greatest outting today but can we still get a guy besides Hamels to go past the 6th inning?? The front office put all their eggs in one basket thinking that just putting Myers back in the starting rotation will fix everything. Well so far (yes it is one game), the eggs are already cracked. This one game could be a microcosm of the whole season. The line up puts up runs, but the pitching, from the starters on down will find a way to lose enough games to keep this team to do no more than fighting for a wild card spot.

The bullpen is still bad other than Romero. Madison is what he is, which is basically mediocre.

I agree with PSP, that this is a 85-90 win team tops and I don't think that is enough to squeak into the playoffs again like they did last year.

Be prepared for a fun season/ride, but just like the latest M. Night Shyamalan movies, it won't pay off in the end.