Sunday, March 02, 2008

What's Wrong With Us?


The more people I talk to and the more I listen to 610, it seems like we're not excited as we should be after signing Asante Samuel, the top defensive free agent on the market, less than 24 hours into free agency. My buddy Uncle Farrell, a huge Jets fan, is completely floored by the fact that Eagles fans aren't beside themselves with excitement.

I suppose there are various reasons for our lack of euphoria by this move. Let's go through them:

1. Sure, Asante is a great player, but how much of an improvement is he over Lito? Obviously, Asante's durability is a major factor, but when Lito is healty and motivated, he is a Pro Bowl Corner. Plus, all indications are that we are trading Lito, so I look at this as a trade: Lito for Asante. How much do we improve with such a trade? I say marginally, which is why we are only marginally excited.

2. We won't be happy until we get a number one wide receiver. I think we all can agree that the offense was the major problem with last year's team. The defense wasn't great, but they weren't embarrassing. Until we get that will make plays for this team, I think we all be a little guarded with our excitement.

3. All the experts are saying that Asante is more of an outstanding zone defender than man to man, and we run a ton of man to man due to our blitzing schemes. Does this mean we will change up our defense to fit his strenghts?

4. Asante is 5'10". I don't see how this helps with covering Eagle killer Plaxico Burress.

I am just a ibt confused as to the rationale behind the move. I don't see the exact reasoning, but I hope Asante proves me wrong and if Lito is traded for immediate help on the offensive side of the ball, I guess I'll be pretty excited.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, I'm a bit confused by the Chris Clemons signing. It seems to me like they are hoping this guy is another Derrick Burgess (ie, a guy who had one decent year heading into free agency after missing a couple years with injuries and then exploded into a top pass rusher) except we would be the benefactor of the coming out party. However, I don't see how this guy can be successful playing at 240-245. We just cut a guy (The Freak) that had a similar build, and how did he hold up in the NFC East? Plus, I'd love to know how many of this guy's 8 sacks last year came in the tons of garbage time that Raider Nation enjoyed in 2007. I guess I'll take a wait and see approach, but I have my hesitations with this move.
I'm real interested to see what the next move is. I've heard the Birds are targeting a kick returner and really like Maurice Hicks of the 49ers. I don't mind who they bring in...please, just don't give me another year of Reno Mahe.
Anyhow, I'm going to spend the next couple of days trying to get myself excited over the Samuel move. We've been asking the Birds to get off their asses and be aggressive in free agency and with the Samuel move they finally were. Is that good enough to help bring the Birds back to elite status? That's the real question and the reason we aren't 100% over joyed by this signing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Santino, I think your brains going to mush from all the karma you're playing w/ that young girl.

its obvious Lito wanted out of town thus the rumors from 3 weeks ago. So, the Birds made it happen, they sign the best FA DB thats on the market and they get to move Lito in the process. Im not so sure Samuel is head and shoulders better than Lito, but he's won before. he's healthy, and he's happy. Lito was oft injured and unhappy w/ a contract he signed (his 2nd contract mind you) 2 years ago.

The Clemons thing is pretty simple too. This team loves a rotation on the Defensive Line. (Fastballs) They brought this kid in for 5 years 17M (not huge dollars) with the thought he'll bring pressure along w/ Trent, JT and Victor. Add Gocong in there as well. Look at our SB Champs, they go 3-4 deep at DE and bring pressure all game. Thats what JJ and Fat Andy want to accomplish.

Smarten up,

George said...

This guy didn't exactly look thrilled to be here at the press conference. Is he the type of guy personality wise that Philadelphians will like?

Anonymous said...

Which guy? I was impressed w/ Clemons, seemed like a pretty smart guy. Asante seemed more ghetto than a typical Eagle. I can't believe he hasn't gotten in trouble through the years.....