Monday, March 10, 2008

Well, That Didn't Last Long


Tonight, for the first time since 2001, I was semi interested in watching a Sixers game. The resurgent Boston Celtics were in town to play Your Philadelphia 76ers in their first meaningful game since AI was traded. After losing by 14 points - including a completely noncompetitive 2nd half, it was pretty clear that this young group of Sixers isn't quite ready for Prime Time as they looked woefully prepared to play for the Big Boys. Thankfully, they didn't win and draw me in further. I can go back to my at arms length relationship with the Sixers.

While I won't say the Sixers are a complete fraud, we learned this evening that the Sixers are \miles away from being a truly competitive NBA team. They are still at least two or three pieces away from being a a "true" playoff team (ie, not one that sneaks in because the East is so brutal).

Please don't call me a hater, I wanted this team to win tonight. I want them to be better. I want them to join Boston as one of the NBA's elite and re kindle their rivalry. They just ain't ready yet.

Hopefully, Eddie Stefanski uses all that cap space we have next year to sign a key free agent that gives this team an inside presence because our Sixers definitely need someone that can draw a double team and score with his back to the basket.

Ok, I'm going to stop pretending like I understand basketball before I say something totally stupid.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hater.



Farrell

Anonymous said...

what you fail to realize, this was a back to back situation which is somehow a big obstacle in the NBA. Additionally, they got off to a terrible start that they could not overcome.

yes, they still need pieces, but this team shows some promise.

George said...

Four days without a post and you return with the Sixers? I hear the cricket sounds.

Anonymous said...

You're slackin PSP!

Anonymous said...

Maybe if they went back to the old uniforms, AND short shorts you'd be more interested?:)

Tom F.

Anonymous said...

Gross

Anonymous said...

Our 76ers showed some heart tonite beating the Pistons in Det.