Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Love It When I'm Right Part Two


Yesterday, I raved about the moves the Flyers had made prior to the deadline, but wished they would make a move for goaltender. Lo and behold, less than 24 hours, the Flyers have given in to my desires and we have a new goalie in Orange & Black.
On Tuesday, the Flyers traded a 2nd round pick for Buffalo's back up goaltender, Martin Biron, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st. I hear you...we picked up another back up goalie and had to give up a 2nd round pick (likely the 31st pick in the draft) to acquire a guy that might leave in two months? Plus, isn't this the guy that just got his ass kicked last week by Ray Emery?

Yes, he is a backup, but he's not your ordinary backup. He was a long time starter for the Sabres who got pushed out of job by a remarkable younger goalie in Ryan Miller. (Think of Biron as Jim Thome and Miller as Ryan Howard, but only Biron is not quite the goalie that Jim Thome is a hitter...wait scrap the whole thing, I'm not sure this analogy even makes sense at this time of night.)

By the way, this is the same guy that got his ass whooped in the Ottawa game last week. I really don't care about his lack of skills with the fists, if he can stop the puck, but I guess we won't have any future exciting moments like this one.





Anyhow, if the Flyers can re-sign the guy, I love the move. He is probably the best, most realistic option the Flyers had available to improve their shaky goaltender situation this offseason. I wish he was a bit younger than 29, but that isn't a huge deal. Goalies take longer to develop and should have about 4 to 5 years of prime hockey ahead of him.

Additionally, I watched tonight's 6-5 O.T. loss to the Islanders and came away very impressed by newly acquired defenseman, Braydon Coburn. The guy can really skate for a huge defenseman and appears to be able to make an outlet pass (something Flyers defenseman have been brutal at this year). I like Coburn better than Zhitnik already and this guy is only 22 and makes about $3 million less. This looks to be a great move. Nice job, Homer.

1 comment:

George said...

Coburn looked great against the NYI. Will these players actually pan out? Only time will tell.