Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Jeff Garcia Saga Continues


Is it me or are Joe Banner and the boys in the Eagles' front office just plain strange? In support of my theory, I present you with Exhibit A, a letter sent to Jeff Garcia's agent by someone in the Birds' front office. This letter contained the following passage:

"we feel we've allotted you enough time to come up with a contract proposal, and now we're heading in a different direction, as we're pursuing a contract extension with A.J. Feeley." (Ok, maybe I embellished it a bit, but I think you get the point.)
There cannot be another team in the league that writes letters like this. How about treating a quarterback like he is...an integral member of your football franchise...and not like some contractor bidding to install upscale toilets on the Suite Level at the Linc. Seriously, would it kill this team to make a football decision based off what they see on the field instead of what is listed on an actuarial table? I swear this team is maddening. They are so close to getting back to the Super Bowl, but will never take the last couple steps to push themselves over the top...unless those last couple steps involve a rookie, 2nd year player, or undrafted free agent improving dramatically and becoming a significant contributor.

Anyhow, here are some more interesting comments from yesterday's Daily News story by Les Bowen:

Asked if he thought the Eagles ever intended to sign him, Garcia, who turned 37 on Saturday, said he initially attributed the lack of talks to Andy Reid's family situation, which led to the coach taking a 1-month leave of absence. Reid's sons Garrett and Britt have been charged with weapon and drug violations.

"As we got toward the end of the month, I asked my agent what the heck was going on," Garcia said. He said Baker then told him the Eagles wanted the Garcia camp to present an offer, something Baker didn't think was wise. Garcia said he agreed.

"If I put something on paper I believed I was worthy of, they could use that against me, say that I was asking more than they were willing to pay," Garcia said. Though he was willing to play in Philadelphia for less money than he would accept somewhere else, he would not have been happy playing at last season's figure, believed to be around $1 million.

"If I just ask for what I made last year, or a little more than what I made last year, then I'm lowballing myself," Garcia said. "After last season, they'd be getting the bargain of the century, and I'm going to be [ticked] off."

Garcia said he felt he demonstrated solid value, that the Eagles should have appreciated.

"It's not just what I was able to do on the field, but what I bring to the locker room, from a leadership standpoint, from a knowledge standpoint," he said.

Garcia said he hasn't spoken with Reid. "I haven't felt right calling him, with what he's going through personally," he said. Garcia said the only Eagles official he has spoken to recently was quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur, whom he called after receiving the letter about the team going in a different direction.

Garcia left no doubt that he will always remember the success he had here, and the fans' reaction to his fiery, enthusiastic style.

"An opportunity like this doesn't present itself with every team, every year," Garcia said. "I understand the value of that... to have been able to play in a city where football is life, and the passion is there from the fans every time you step out onto the field, to have the fans embrace me the way they did, was captivating for me and my family as well.

"The relationships with teammates, the feeling in that locker room was unmatched. It was a year where that feeling of appreciation will never be forgotten."

Garcia said he wanted to tell Eagles fans, "I thank them for rejuvenating me and my football life."
By the way, if you haven't heard already, Donte Stallworth and his blinding speed is not coming back to Philly next year as the Birds have deemed his initial contract demands ludicrous.

On the bright side, the Birds re-signed career back up safety, Quinton Mikell, and situational pass rusher, Juqua Thomas. Yaaaaaaaayyyy. I've so overwhelmed with excitement. I almost forgot the Eagles' track record of never losing an undrafted free agent that they wanted to retain.

I don't know about you guys, but this offseason sounds like it is going to be Phantastic!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get off the 37 year old guy w/ the POA girlie. These 2 signings are much more important than Jerry Garcia. Quinton will play on 3rd downs and goal line. And if the whitey doesnt' grow, he'll have a chance to start. Thomas played great last year and will be in the mix w/ Freak, Howard, and the rest of the DE's.


Eagles sign one of 2 key playersSafety Quintin Mikell has agreed to a 4-year contract extension. End Juqua Thomas could sign Friday.

Anonymous said...

NFL | Thomas, Saints reach deal;

Defensive tackle Hollis Thomas has agreed to a four-year, $12 million contract with the New Orleans Saints, team officials said yesterday.

Here's the "best team in the NFC" paying a 34 year over weight tackle with 2 strikes against him w/ the NFL drug policy.

Instead of bickering about a 37 yr. old backup QB who choked in the playoff games, let's be happy were not paying 12M for a 1 Dimensiosal DT who is injure prone.